Dan Wesson Cleaning Dan Wesson Wood Grips

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by kc1911, Oct 11, 2018.

1. kc1911

kc1911 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Yup......rookie question. My only other 1911 (a Springer RO) has G10 grips which are pretty much impervious to anything you can throw at them.

Now that my beautiful new DW Guardian has made it's first range trip, it's time to clean her up.

Per many other threads, I'll be using Aero-Kroil and WC Ultima-Lube II Oil for cleaning and lubing the Duty Finish gun.

Will these products harm the cocobolo wood grips?
    Should I remove the grips every time I clean the gun?

I've never had a problem with cleaners on my wood revolver grips; but then I use Ballistol on those guns.

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I don;t think I have ever purposefully cleaned my grips. I do take them off during a detail strip

WHEELS likes this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually Dan Wesson suggests FP-10 and I use gunfighter oil. Have heard of the others, but I can attest that neither of these oils have damaged the finishes on a duty treated gun..

WHEELS likes this.
  4. kc1911

kc1911 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I didn't state as clearly as I should have. I'm not trying necessarily clean the grips; but I don't want the cleaning solution used on the gun to damage the grips. I'd rather not remove the grips every time I do a routine cleaning of the gun unless I really have to.

The DW manual actually specifically lists Kroil, along with FP-10, as suitable for the Duty Finish. To be more precise, Kroil is listed as a good barrel cleaning solvent that is safe on the Duty Finish.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I alway clean the barrel completely away from the finish, most of my Wessons are a little older, so they must of just recently added the Kroil.. Good to know. But, I never clean my barrel anywhere near the rest of the frame anyway.. But, the FP-10 work pretty good, although gunfighter is better imo.. your getting off to a good start cause several have not read instructions and end up damaging their finishes only to find out too late that the duty treat is a good finish but not impervious to harsh chemical cleaners.

6. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Just remove the grips and put them aside.

Badabing11 likes this.
  7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I've had some grips that seem impervious to anything. Esmeralda's seem extremely resilient to just about anything I've gotten in them. I've had Wicked grips costing twice as much that didn't keep their finish past the first use.

Unless you know or don't care if they get weathered ,just take em off, and clean your hands well before handling again . Just my $0.02 ymmv

tokuboi69 likes this.
  8. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Too much oil of any kind under the grips will ultimately get absorbed by wood, and over time can damage it. It is imperative to occasionally remove the grips and wipe down all the metal underneath, leaving a light film to protect the metal from sweat or water that gets underneath. The oil you leave behind should not be much, just a film, and you will have no issues with damaged grips or rust.

tokuboi69 likes this.
  9. k38

k38 Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    I'm looking at my Wilson CQB, blue, with beautiful French walnut grips. I've cleaned this gun many, many times. I rarely take off the grips. No discoloring or oil stains. Just be careful not to soak the grips with your cleaning solvent and you'll be fine.

10. Fort Tom

Fort Tom Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Since I "downsized" and bought a condo, I've basically quit using any solvents or other cleaners that smell the place up, or could ruing the carpet in my gun room. I just use EWL for everything. No odor, non-toxic, works beautifully and hasn't hurt the wood grips or stocks...etc.. on anything I own. I do try to keep it off of wood as much as possible, though. Just a thought.

11. sbacpo

sbacpo Member

Jul 2, 2018
  12. kc1911

kc1911 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. For the first cleaning (yesterday) I removed the grips and then did a thorough cleaning and oiling of the Guardian. While the grips were off, I added a coat of Renaissance Wax to both the front and back of the grips.

Going forward, I'll probably leave the grips on for "routine" cleanings done after each range trip; but remove the grips every few months for a more thorough cleaning.

william adams and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  13. JohnQQQ

JohnQQQ New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I brush mine with weaponshield (fp10) and a toothbrush, then wipe down with a cloth

14. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    That's what I thought ! I have some desert ironwood's that wouldn't take on oil if you put them in a bathtub full of it. The Challis guys helped me figure it out . But a lot of these exotic hardwoods are so oily in the first place , they are very resistant to a lot of oils . Not saying it won't degrade eventually . But in my climate it will take a long time.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted