CMP 1911 pistols in 2019

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by pistolpete, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Will the gov. release any more 1911 pistols for sale this year? I apparently wasn't drawn for one last year.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  2. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes they will in the future, but the process has closed for 2019 already! http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

JUST FIGURE TO GET YOUR APPLICATION READY BY LABOR DAY OF 2019, (SEPTEMBER) FOR THE DRAWINGS OF 2020 OR YOU WILL BE OUT OF LUCK. HERE IS A QOUTE FROM THE SITE UNDER THE RULES: CMP 1911 order form packet must be mailed to the following address. This includes USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. Orders must be postmarked NOT PRIOR TO 4 September 2018 and NOT AFTER 4 October 2018. Any orders received postmarked prior to September 4 will not be accepted. Hand delivered, emailed and faxed orders will not be accepted. Only orders sent to the following CMP 1911 address will be accepted:

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING NICER, YOU CAN GO AND BID ONLINE.

Capthobo and Karl Beining like this.
  4. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think those Congressional authorizations are by GFY. And there was supposed to be a review by some Congressional committee at the end of this first year’s program (which authorized only 8K units to be released, IIRC). If the review goes well (i.e., no negative feedback) then perhaps they’ll approve the full 10K units to be released next year (GFY20).

Government Fiscal Year 2020 runs from 1 October 2019 through 30 September 2020.

Colorado Sonny and Karl Beining like this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    You are absolutely correct! :grin:

The demand however outstrips the supply. Why this is so knowledgeable addicts can't understand! These pistols are historical items. They are not base guns.

I have an NRA sale pistol that My dad bought back in 1961. I had it modified in 1985 by Terry Tussey back in the 1980's and it is still my favorite.
    [​IMG]

6. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Demand verses Supply (verses Time):

While it’s true “demand” out stripped “supply” for this first year’s offering (which was expected), it shouldn’t take the CMP more than a few years to meet the bulk of the “pent up” demand. Perhaps THREE or FOUR years at the outside. After that time frame, pretty much anyone who wants one should be able to order one.

My logic is as follows. A few “subjective” assumptions have been made, but generally to the conservative side of the equation.

They [the Army] supposedly has 100K units in storage, to ultimately be sold off by the CMP. So, right off the bat, you can see they’ve got roughly a ten year program (100K units / 10K units per year).

This year they received 8K units - with roughly a 15-20% fall off of units that couldn’t be sold through the lottery system (for whatever reason; too poor of condition or just parts or to be put in the ‘auction system’). I don’t have first hand knowledge of this; just what was reported as heresy or from CMP forum postings. But again, I’m taking a conservative approach to my number (Time) calculations. Assuming that same level of ‘fall off’ for future years (could be better or could be worse), that would mean roughly a net of 8K units per fiscal year, to be sold via the lottery system. (10K per year x 0.80 = 8K net units; a ~20% fall off).

For this first year offering, the CMP received 19K bidder packages. They are apparently going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6400-6500 units (of all grades) to meet this “demand” of 19K. (19,000 - 6,500 = 12,500 unmet “pent up” demand remaining to be met). So that original unmet demand can be met in less than two years (12,500 / 8,000 net units per year = 1.5 years roughly).

So let’s double that number (to 3 years) to account for new orders received from folks who didn’t originally participate and have now decided to throw their names into the lottery (so to speak). That still means the CMP will be able to meet virtually 100% of the demand for pistols before Pres. Trump completes his second term.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  7. pistolpete

Mar 12, 2016
    I don even know if my application was received at CMP. Will I need to send another application for the next batch?? Not much info, absolutely no feedback.

8. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Pistolpete,
    If that question was directed toward me, I do not know the answer to your question. I decided the various grades of 1911s were too rich for my blood so I elected to not participate. While I initially followed the process with some degree of interest, once the prices were announced, I lost interest and stopped following the details of their announcements concerning their intended procedures.

I’m unclear if an application packet sent in and not selected, remains valid for the following year, or if you have to start over {fresh} each year with a new application packet. Also unclear if you are selected for a pistol, and they don’t have the grade you desire, is it a “use it or loose it” situation for your position in the que. IOW, can you defer your purchase until they have the grade pistol you want or are you forced to buy from the lower grade(s) available at the time. Just a couple “unknowns” to me (I suspect I may not like the answers to these two questions).

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  9. FLD

FLD New Member

Mar 19, 2019
    According to the info posted by their staff, applicants stay in order of their lottery number until all 19000+ have been offered a pistol.
    Apparently, they are contacting applicants in the 3900-4000-range now and offering field and service grades.

10. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I got an email from CMP earlier this month saying my RNG is 16000 something. Maybe I'll get one in the 2nd year batch, maybe 3rd. Anyhow, make sure you don't have a RNG email in your junk folder. Not sure if they sent out all the RNGs by now, or maybe your packet wasn't accepted.

11. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    FDL, welcome to the forum!

So that makes it sound like the CMP won’t be making provisions for any potential new buyers on an annual basis. The next set of new buyers won’t be lined up until they hold the next lottery (whenever that is, perhaps two or three years down the road). I guess that’s about as fair a process as any, even though any young buyers (recently turned 21), will have to wait a couple years longer.

(Just curious) Was there any mention of how many ‘Rack grades’ they have to sell out of this first year’s allotment?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  12. pistolpete

Mar 12, 2016
    I did get my number a couple weeks ago, it's 15,512. Maybe this year or next....

13. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Well, that’s good news (at least you know where you’re at in the que). And it may be good if you’re at the beginning of the third year, as opposed to the end of the second year. That’s IF CMP has to sell through all Grade conditions before they can move on to the next year’s allocation. If they are working that way, your chances of getting a better grade is improved if you’re at the beginning of a year’s allocation rather than the end.

But that’s the main reason I’m curious how many (if, any) ‘Rack’ grades they had to work (sell) through this first year. Or maybe they’ll cannibalize those for parts and only sell Service grade and Field grade units (?). But they didn’t advertise pricing that way (they quoted a price for Rack grade).

14. pistolpete

Mar 12, 2016
    Has anyone actually received a Rack grade?? Or Field grade??

15. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    According to FLD (post #9), they are selling the lower Field grade.

But unknown if any has actually elected to buy a Field grade. Personally if I was going to spend that much, I’d go ahead and drop another $100 and get the Service grade.

16. FLD

FLD New Member

Mar 19, 2019
    As far as I know (which isn't very far), no rack grades have been offered. Some field grade pistols have been offered but the vast majority so far have been service grade.
    By the way, it's good to be here. I'm not a collector, but I do like the 1911 platform. It fits my medium-sized arthritic hands quite well, much better than the G-17.

Dallas Knight likes this.
  17. pistolpete

Mar 12, 2016
    The 1911 works for me too. Lower thumb joints are gone bit the 1911 is easy on them. Fingerless leather gloves help for the shotgun but I can't use them on a hand gun.

18. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    While my own personal opinion is, they’re all a little too rich for my blood, I find the ‘Rack Grade’ to be just excessively overpriced. I would suggest it’s pricing doesn’t even fall in line with the other two higher grade schemes. But then again, I’m looking at them from a ‘shooter’s perspective’ and not from a collector’s point-of-view.

I would think, in order to get a Rack Grade into a safe-to-shoot condition, you’d likely have to spend more than a hundred bucks with a competent gunsmith. I say a hundred bucks, because for that amount of money, you could step up to a Field Grade (which would at least, be in a shootable condition). You may have to spend as much (with a gunsmith) on a Rack Grade as what it would cost to buy a Service Grade.

19. FLD

FLD New Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Without hearing from anyone that has been offered and purchased a rack grade I'm reluctant to guess what they look like.The CMP description says the rack grade will function properly but to expect rust, pitting and possibly broken or cracked grips.
    I was actually hoping for a rack grade pistol but when I received the phone call from CMP, service grade was offered and I accepted it.
    I agree that it could cost the difference of a field or service grade if a rack grade needed smithing.
    If future allotments tend to be rack grades rather than field/service grades, buyers may not have a choice of grades.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  20. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    I believe that’s a description change from what I first read as to their grading criteria - but that was also back in the very earliest days of contemplation of this program. Back at that time, there was also speculation (by some magazine writers) there may be as many as 300-400K units being stored by the government. It’s also possible I read of the Rack Grade shootability condition (or lack thereof) as a guess by posters on the CMP forum. But nevertheless it’s good to know Rack Grades ARE in a safe, shootable condition. If it’s just cosmetic condition, at least that makes the price fall in line with the other higher grades.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted