1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in learning about a CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) U.S. Army M1911A1 Ser# 898155 I just bought.
No pics yet as I am just starting the Kommiefornia 10 day waiting period.
It is a Franken mix which most are from CMP but I bought it just to have a piece of history.
Paperwork states it is a Colt frame with Rand slide but there aren't any external stamps or markings showing Colt (no pony) on the frame, where the slide is clearly marked Rand.
I am not having any luck locating this ser # on any of the websites I have looked at, it seems to fall in between number sets.
Can't wait to squeeze off some rounds and put it away.
Thanks

This is pretty much a duplicate of my introduction because I did not see this first

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
There should be a stamp, on the left side of the frame, behind the trigger. Stamp could be one of several, R.S., W.B., G.H.D., CSR. There were different inspectors assigned to different manufacturers, these aforementioned were assigned to Colts', and this, I believe, is the best way to identify the frame maker.
Hope this helps.

Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's kind of exciting to think this is the first time in the many years that this gun was in storage that has seen the light of day. So glad they were not destroyed!
They get to live another lifetime and hopefully more.
I sent in an application around Oct 2018, I never expected my number would be drawn, and then I had a week to decide if I was willing to buy a handgun, sight unseen. The make, model, actual condition unknown. Thinking what did I just do, what if it is a POS, lmao
When I was younger, I was a long rifle guy, very few handguns, but as time has changed me, I can really appreciate a nice sidearm. I would like to acquire a couple of old Colt SAA's in decent shape someday.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
It's kind of exciting to think this is the first time in the many years that this gun was in storage that has seen the light of day.
That's the way I felt about my M1 I got from the DCM. Old war horses like the 1911 were once sold to the public for $25.00. I saw & shot some of them owned by the WWII vets in our Shooting club. So many M14s left to waste even though the US Army came up with a way to convert them to Semi- Auto only. Obama said no Sale, but he is gone. :D

Write Congress tell them we want the M14s & the rest of the M1s in Korea. :happy:

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Is it possible that it was shipped w/o a Colt stamp or pony?

Colt only stamped the rampant pony on the slides. If this is a Rand slide, that would explain the lack of the pony.

Colt frame would have the US PROPERTY stamp, serial number, and various inspection stamps. No pony.

From the pics above, it's a beauty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Colt only stamped the rampant pony on the slides. If this is a Rand slide, that would explain the lack of the pony.

Colt frame would have the US PROPERTY stamp, serial number, and various inspection stamps. No pony.

From the pics above, it's a beauty.
Thank you, I looked all over externally and then figured that one of the stamps must mean Colt. Would it hurt anything if I pick up another Parkerized slide of the same era, as long as I keep the Remmington Rand slide to match the paperwork? I would kind of like to see the pony, lol.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
Im pretty sure that they were all disassembled at the Annison Armory and all components were thrown in a pile and inspected. Upon assembly, they just grabbed whatever part was closest, not even trying to match manufacturers.
I believe that’s why the tolerances were looser on military’s 1911s in the middle of a way you want to be able to use any parts available to keep that thing running!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Thank you, I looked all over externally and then figured that one of the stamps must mean Colt. Would it hurt anything if I pick up another Parkerized slide of the same era, as long as I keep the Remmington Rand slide to match the paperwork? I would kind of like to see the pony, lol.

I totally understand the attraction to the pony. I am thinking it would be difficult to find a slide finished to match the arsenal finish that came with your CMP gun, but then, I am NOT an expert on parkerized finishes.

I would go with what ^^ @Bender said ^^

Reactions: Ron Darnell

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
To the OP, no it would not hurt to find a Colt 1911A1 slide and put it on your Colt 1911A1 frame. Also there is a 1911 site that has info on all the right parts for different years and different manufacturers. Years ago you could go to a swap meet and find the correct parts for say a colt vs RR, but those have sort of dried up. A few guys around here who bought these from the CMP are trading off parts to kinda, sort of have a more correct pistol.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Tan
This is my in the Kraft box '44 Remington Rand

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.