1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Coming from a strong precision rifle background, but admittedly a novice handgunner. I'm looking for your advice on how to improve my accuracy in the 15-40 yard range. Specific drills or techniques appreciated.

Shooting primarily an STI Edge 2011, 40 S&W, iron sights.

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

/Steve

·
Registered
378 Posts
I once asked a friend of mine who won Master Blaster status at the annual Second Chance match the same thing. His reply was, "Shoot more."

I shot benchrest for 20 years so I know where you're coming from. The handgun game is much simpler. No need to read the wind or fiddle with the scope. No neck turning and reloading is a breeze. Really it's just about physical strength and mental toughness. I'm not a bullseye shooter but there are plenty who frequent this forum. I'm sure they'll weigh in with more meaningful insights.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Start with Dot Torture drills. Even if you don't want to draw from a holster.
The drill helps turn you into a machine, i.e. consistency.

Learn good grip technique , then FOCUS on the front sight for longer shots. Dot torture will teach you trigger control. It is a straight back press, that turns into a slap on closer quicker shots.
That comes back to grip!! One step below holding on to a rattle snake! Hold it tight with the correct grip and your sights don't move while manipulating the trigger.

I'm a uspsa guy so no surprise break I want to know when the gun is going to go off.
If you want bullseye info, i.e. little groups while holding the pistol with one hand. I'm not your guy!!!

Grip, front sight , Slap or press depending on distance

·
Deo Volente
7,120 Posts
Take a class where grip and technique is taught. You will have to unlearn that driving force of MOA that is so critical in benchrest. You might even try some Cowboy Action/Wild Bunch shooting to help you loosen up. Had the same problem of shooting for 10X when 6 counts just as much. It is less science and more art!

More than anything else, enjoy yourself with an excellent quality pistol!

PRACTICE!

Reactions: villdetwink

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
practice. as often as possible. consider a laser range type device for when You can't get to the range.

practice. dry fire works too....WITH THE AMMO IN ANOTHER ROOM WITH A CLOSED DOOR!!!

(consider placing a quarter on top of the slide if you dry or laser practice....You will know if You are doing it wrong.)
ammo consistency. 40 ammo used to be wonky a.f. it's gotten better, but, can still vary a bit.

take one shot at a time. it's not a race. speed comes with time.

also, why are You working on 40 Yards?

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
well, I am a fan of federal. won't lie. the consistency thing I mean is bullet weight. it runs from...what, 135-200 grains? pick a weight, and a manufacturer, and, stick with that.
personally, I like 180. you may, or may not. but, cheap ammo, gets cheap results. sure, you an get steel cased wolf for next to nothing. that's the performance You can expect.

and, if You reload, man, You can't change anything.

·
Deo Volente
7,120 Posts
Thank you, appreciate the help.

@shootin-blanks, which .22 do you recommend?

@jakebrake, thank you. Some of my rifle matches require 40-ish yard pistol shots. Which .40 ammo do you like?

@jcc7x7, thank you. Dot torture drill like this:

@Colorado Sonny, appreciate the empathy!

@Steve in Allentown, thank you!
Being taught to be an accuracy shooter is great! But it does not translate to the action shooting venues. My first cowboy action match I ended up dead last! :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Acquire the target and pull the trigger!

Welcome from Western Colorado!

Reactions: Mike Meints

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've heard this guy might know something about how to shoot a handgun.

Dry fire at home until the gun does not move while you are pulling the trigger. The fundamentals of shooting a handgun are very simple. Incredibly difficult to do consistently.
Good luck and have fun,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I’ve watched a bunch of Rob’s videos. Simple, sound advice. My shooting improved with tons of dry fire practice and putting about 10,000 rounds down range!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Dry fire
Dry fire
Dry fire

trigger control (jerking, snatching, pulling, etc.) is what causes the sights to misalign when shooting and thus pulls shots.

forget the dumb wheels that “tell” you what you’re doing wrong based on impact area. Just dry fire and focus on letting the trigger “surprise” you when it breaks.

you shouldn’t be able to feel or know when it’s going to break. You should be applying steady/consistent pressure until it does...

·
Registered
522 Posts
You're getting great advice from the others. I recently read "The Perfect Pistol Shot" by Albert League. For me, it was very helpful.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
One thing that I can highly recommend is a MantisX. It's given me a marked improvement in my abilities. Even if your handgun doesn't have a rail, you can get a mount that will go on the bottom of your mag.

Reactions: rbphelan

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Dry fire
Dry fire
Dry fire

trigger control (jerking, snatching, pulling, etc.) is what causes the sights to misalign when shooting and thus pulls shots.

forget the dumb wheels that “tell” you what you’re doing wrong based on impact area. Just dry fire and focus on letting the trigger “surprise” you when it breaks.

you shouldn’t be able to feel or know when it’s going to break. You should be applying steady/consistent pressure until it does...
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

TRIGGER PRESS, TRIGGER PRESS, TRIGGER PRESS, TRIGGER PRESS, TRIGGER PRESS,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts