Cobra Derringer pistols are not safe for carry

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by B81, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    ImperialBlade likes this.
  2. Glanoril

Glanoril Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2015
    Reminds me of that writer/SWAT member some years ago who very tragically killed himself when his non-drop safe Colt 1903 fell out of his waist band as he was getting ready to go for a jog. I love small guns, I love antique guns, and I love unique guns. However there are some things that just aren't safe enough to have on my person while loaded. I was happy to read that in this case the man survived.

Having never owned one of these little derringers I'm curious. What sort of internal safeties do they have built in? (Apparently none?) Can you just smack the hammer from the rear with an object and touch off a round?

Fred_G and ImperialBlade like this.

3. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I don't know about the actual gun in question, but......the one pictured above has a hammer block "safety". That silver colored circular piece is pushed sideways and blocks the hammer. Some are spring loaded the "unblock" when the hammer is cocked, some are strictly manual. Again, I don't know what the gun in the incident had......
    if any.

TR

ImperialBlade likes this.
  4. 12VMan

12VMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    This is a sad story, and I'm glad to see it seems like the individual is recovering/has recovered.

I really hate to sound like a gun snob - if someone isn't into guns and chooses to defend themselves with a Hi-Point, that's much better than a rock and a sharp word - but it is surprising to me that someone who owns 20 firearms chose to carry a Cobra derringer.

Ingramite, william adams and FWoo45 like this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Well... they didn't say what those 20 other firearms were. Maybe he has 20 other Cobra Derringers ;)

LHA4Assault, Babboonbobo, Kip and 4 others like this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Just because it fits in your pocket does not always make it a good idea to carry. A year or so ago, a guy at work had a nice Colt 1911, he shot himself in the leg putting the gun in his pocket. It was NOT the gun's fault...

Karsten and Kip like this.
  7. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Just about everything with that guns screams cheap and an accident just waiting to happen to me. I carry a 5 round .22 Mag for just because in my pocket but the trigger is completely covered and the Hammer rests between the rounds in the cylinder.....Needs to be SA cocked, trigger guard turns into grip and exposes the trigger.....NAA also made in Utah.

[​IMG]

Karsten

Fred_G and FWoo45 like this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I am not a fan of an exposed trigger like that, but with some common sense, they sure make a great "any gun is better than no gun" option.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted