Cold blue durability

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Eastwood1, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    01066046-900E-4AA9-AFA8-B9520A7FA909.jpeg View attachment 248039 so I have been tinkering with some cheap cold blue until get sand blast materials figured out. I bought some cheap super blue and attempted a few diff ways of applying until I found what seemed to work best. I like how it turned out. Just not sure how long it will last an stay nice. Also was curious if it’s a the more I put on the longer will hold up or? Below is a pic with 3 coats anyone utilized this coating for a period of time?

wrmiller and Mike Meints like this.
  2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Don't know the answer, but may I ask what cold blue you used?

3. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    Cold bluing is just a chemical reaction in the metal it doesnt get thicker the more you put on like a cerakote or gunkote finish. It may get darker the more you put on because of the metals reaction to the chemical.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yea I used super blue birch an Casey. I don’t have patience for wanting to do things an try so was the only thing available. So have it a shot an this was 3rd attempt

wrmiller likes this.
  5. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    I also figured out fairly quickly that any type of application that involved rubbing on will look bad and uneven unless you buy enough to be able to immerse the part the best way to apply I found was to spray it with a air brush

wrmiller likes this.
  6. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I can't speak to how well cold blue lasts when used as a stand alone finish, but I use it to touch up my carry guns and it seems to last pretty well.

wrmiller likes this.
  7. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Be careful with that finish, I remember reading that it does not offer any anti-rust properties like the standard blueing process.

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Check pages 4-956230 of your TTT gunsmithing catalog. !
    Under home bluing preserver section .
    A 2 step system , Mr Haney tested and approved !!

855822F5-6584-4115-8265-FCD1E5CD7888.jpeg CC507ABD-1733-4FEF-AB6D-3D2ED56FFB4B.jpeg
    As usual, put cash in plain brown envelope and send to TTT
    Include S&H ,postage ,taxes and a tip for @Kip

9. jglenn

jglenn Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Over the years i think I've used ever cold blue on the market. All of them are made of the same basic formula just differing amounts. Brownells sell quite a few versions and oxpho blue is the most popular. I actually use dicropan IM from them. It is actually a replacement for rust bluing.. takes a bit of work to perfect the process, but it is seems to last longer than any other cold blue and does not change color over time. Brownells has specific instructions for each. Pays to read them

Johnny Johnston and wrmiller like this.
  10. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    It can be durable if you clean the surface with alcohol and use some heat. I prefer the paste/gel type products...they seem to work best for me.

11. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have been using the Kleenbore Black Magic and it seems to be darker than the Birchwood Casey Presto Mag, but your finish came out great. Too bad I don't airbrush...

12. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yea after a few attempts with doing cold I threw slide in oven for 15 min at 285 pulled it out an airbrushed it on an came out a dark black grey looks great just don’t think is gonna last to long compared to other types

13. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks great. I think it will be fine. Just keep a silicone rag or oil and it should be fine.

Johnny Johnston likes this.
  14. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Thanks yea I am gonna take it a lil further I believe an see how dark or deep I can go with a. Few more coats

wrmiller likes this.
  15. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Although the instructions say you can leave oil on the surface, I think Brownell’s Oxpho Blue works best if you degrease the part and heat it up before application.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted