1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I just registered on this forum after learning about it on a different forum where I've been learning about other handguns for quite a few years now. Personally, I don't collect guns of any kind; I just own what I can (and do) carry concealed for self defense. Through the years I've owned and sold Colt revolvers - including an Anaconda which I used for deer hunting as well as numerous Glocks, S&Ws, Kahrs, Rugers, and the occasional KelTec, SCCY and even a Diamondback 9mm.

I was directed here because I'm helping a buddy determine how much his Colt 1911 might be worth. He inherited it from his father, who probably bought it in the 70s. It's still in the original plastic wrapping and box with all the paperwork of the time. I believe the last time it was touched by human hands was at the factory.

For what it's worth, I suggested he should try to establish a baseline value and then list it on one of the gun auction sites. He's in no hurry and not in need for cash, so he can do this the 'right way'.

I appreciate any input you can provide. I'll try to attach a photo.
Brown Material property Plastic Paper product Packing materials

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
$1200-$1500 depending on the market you're selling in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I understand the sentiment to keep it, but I don't think my buddy every developed any emotional attachment to it. His dad apparently liked to purchase guns and store them. When he died, each of the kids got a gun or two. Not sure if his brothers or sisters kept their guns.

Now, my friend says he's too busy to deal with the sale of the gun and he'd like me to handle it. I took about 20 high-resolution photos yesterday of the gun after I learned the plastic wrapper was NOT sealed. I very carefully removed it from the bag without touching the slide, which is still coated with some kind of preservative like cosmoline. I'm certain the slide would look better if I'd wiped it down, but I'm reluctant to do anything that might diminish the value. As it is, the file sizes are so large I might have to save them at a lower resolution just to get them posted.

Assuming I proceed with an auction, is there a preferred website for such a sale? I'm registered with GunsAmerica, so that would be easiest.

Any advice?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Alright, I understand the sentiment to keep it, but I don't think my buddy every developed any emotional attachment to it. His dad apparently liked to purchase guns and store them. When he died, each of the kids got a gun or two. Not sure if his brothers or sisters kept their guns.

Now, my friend says he's too busy to deal with the sale of the gun and he'd like me to handle it. I took about 20 high-resolution photos yesterday of the gun after I learned the plastic wrapper was NOT sealed. I very carefully removed it from the bag without touching the slide, which is still coated with some kind of preservative like cosmoline. I'm certain the slide would look better if I'd wiped it down, but I'm reluctant to do anything that might diminish the value. As it is, the file sizes are so large I might have to save them at a lower resolution just to get them posted.

Assuming I proceed with an auction, is there a preferred website for such a sale? I'm registered with GunsAmerica, so that would be easiest.

Any advice?

Humm, Oddly I thought there was a Classified Forum somewhere around here where MEMBER's could post up stuff For Sale....I think there is a Post Count requirement as well as pictures....

Just sayin, you come here for advice to take it elsewhere....Why the heck don't you post it up here where you might get luck without the GB or GOA route.

Karsten

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Karsten - What is the minimum number of posts before a member can use the classified section? Right now I'm at 5 or 6.

I have no clue but I thought it was around 10 posts. Trust me when I say this.....This that 1911 has a Value the members here will be the 1st to pick it up at a Fair Market Price.

Stick around a while and you will have wished you bought the 1911 here you wanted to sale.

Karsten

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.