Colt .38 Super

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Mike Stevens, May 3, 2019.

1. Mike Stevens

Mike Stevens Active Member

Mar 30, 2017
    So,

I ran across this gun at a local shop today. Colt MKIV in 38 Super. I picked it up for $650 OTD, With a 1/2 dozen mags. It needs a few upgrades. I’m trying to decide if I want to go to a full house custom or do just a few minor upgrades like sights, beaver tail and trigger. Included original box and documents.

Any thoughts? This is my 1st 38 Super.

Attached Files:

TxTrail80, xerts1191, gps man and 3 others like this.
  2. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Going to be real nice. Great caliber for a great gun.

Mike Stevens likes this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I think you could go either way with the amount you build it up, but, I am sure you will enjoy it very much. Great pickup!

Mike Stevens likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Where do you live, BTW?

Any homes for sale in your neighborhood?

EDIT:. I had to go back and check to see if this wasn't a zombie thread resurrection from 1995. I haven't seen one of those sell for less than a grand in quite a while.

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Nice catch! I wouldn't have been able to get my wallet out fast enough at that price! It'll be tough deciding what to do with it, it wouldn't be hard to put back to original but where's the fun in that, right?;)

6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I couldn't decide on a full custom build or a "budget conscience" build for .38 sup. Colt either. So I sent 2 to Karl (KGB Customs) and told him to do one of each. Problem solved...... well accept for the decisions on what to do or not to do on the Budget Bronco. :confused::confused:
    @Karl Beining

I'm sure you'll figure it all out...... great base gun & deal you got there.

7. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    As you handle and fire it, ideas will come to you about things you wish were different. Just make a list, check it twice and when you think it's finished, find someone to do the work unless you are doing it yourself. Best wishes.

8. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    I hope so. I’ll put some rounds down range on Saturday and get a feel for it.

WC145 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  9. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks, it’s one of once in a lifetime deals. I’m beginning to think full house custom.

10. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    It’s not a Lazarus thread. That is the real deal from 2019. I got a screaming deal. I’m almost ashamed to tell what I bought with it.

11. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    I had my Credit Card out before he said that it came with another set of grips and 1/2 dozen mags.

I felt like a criminal and wondering if he was going to say, sorry that is mis-Marked and the price is $1200.00. I couldn’t wait to get out of that store.

UBOATDOC and WC145 like this.
  12. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    Karl is a nice guy! We’ve chatted a bit about an FM Hi Power Detective. I was thinking Yost or Derr for this build.

WC145 likes this.
  13. Mike Stevens

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks, we shall what we be weekend brings after a couple of hundred rounds

14. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It will be interesting. I think it was 1986 when Colt started head spacing that round off the front of the case as opposed to the semi rim.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    "Any thoughts?"

A couple...
    The first one was "That Lucky Son of a ....."
    Second, I'm happy for you man! Cast my vote for a custom build!

16. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    I have a Kimber and a Taurus in .38 Super and they both are very nice to shoot. I can't tell much difference between shooting them and my Rock Island 9mm. Similar recoil and accuracy -- they are all reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. My experience with RIA has been very positive; my 9mm tactical model has a GREAT trigger, and was very inexpensive.

17. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Yost it ! It'll take 12-18 months but who cares it'll be a religious heirloom after you get it back

UBOATDOC likes this.
  18. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    Go back to store and look for another!
    Shoot the heck out of it and save your brass.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted