1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I ran across this gun at a local shop today. Colt MKIV in 38 Super. I picked it up for $650 OTD, With a 1/2 dozen mags. It needs a few upgrades. I’m trying to decide if I want to go to a full house custom or do just a few minor upgrades like sights, beaver tail and trigger. Included original box and documents.

Any thoughts? This is my 1st 38 Super.

Attachments

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Where do you live, BTW?

Any homes for sale in your neighborhood?

EDIT:. I had to go back and check to see if this wasn't a zombie thread resurrection from 1995. I haven't seen one of those sell for less than a grand in quite a while.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,732 Posts
Nice catch! I wouldn't have been able to get my wallet out fast enough at that price! It'll be tough deciding what to do with it, it wouldn't be hard to put back to original but where's the fun in that, right?;)

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I couldn't decide on a full custom build or a "budget conscience" build for .38 sup. Colt either. So I sent 2 to Karl (KGB Customs) and told him to do one of each. Problem solved...... well accept for the decisions on what to do or not to do on the Budget Bronco. :confused::confused:
@Karl Beining

I'm sure you'll figure it all out...... great base gun & deal you got there.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,660 Posts
As you handle and fire it, ideas will come to you about things you wish were different. Just make a list, check it twice and when you think it's finished, find someone to do the work unless you are doing it yourself. Best wishes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where do you live, BTW?

Any homes for sale in your neighborhood?

EDIT:. I had to go back and check to see if this wasn't a zombie thread resurrection from 1995. I haven't seen one of those sell for less than a grand in quite a while.
It’s not a Lazarus thread. That is the real deal from 2019. I got a screaming deal. I’m almost ashamed to tell what I bought with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice catch! I wouldn't have been able to get my wallet out fast enough at that price! It'll be tough deciding what to do with it, it wouldn't be hard to put back to original but where's the fun in that, right?;)
I had my Credit Card out before he said that it came with another set of grips and 1/2 dozen mags.

I felt like a criminal and wondering if he was going to say, sorry that is mis-Marked and the price is $1200.00. I couldn’t wait to get out of that store.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldn't decide on a full custom build or a "budget conscience" build for .38 sup. Colt either. So I sent 2 to Karl (KGB Customs) and told him to do one of each. Problem solved...... well accept for the decisions on what to do or not to do on the Budget Bronco. :confused::confused:
@Karl Beining

I'm sure you'll figure it all out...... great base gun & deal you got there.
Karl is a nice guy! We’ve chatted a bit about an FM Hi Power Detective. I was thinking Yost or Derr for this build.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As you handle and fire it, ideas will come to you about things you wish were different. Just make a list, check it twice and when you think it's finished, find someone to do the work unless you are doing it yourself. Best wishes.
Thanks, we shall what we be weekend brings after a couple of hundred rounds

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It will be interesting. I think it was 1986 when Colt started head spacing that round off the front of the case as opposed to the semi rim.

·
Registered
833 Posts
"Any thoughts?"

A couple...
The first one was "That Lucky Son of a ....."
Second, I'm happy for you man! Cast my vote for a custom build!

·
Banned
219 Posts
I have a Kimber and a Taurus in .38 Super and they both are very nice to shoot. I can't tell much difference between shooting them and my Rock Island 9mm. Similar recoil and accuracy -- they are all reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. My experience with RIA has been very positive; my 9mm tactical model has a GREAT trigger, and was very inexpensive.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,235 Posts
Yost it ! It'll take 12-18 months but who cares it'll be a religious heirloom after you get it back

Reactions: UBOATDOC
1 - 18 of 18 Posts