Colt cco,i know its just a tool but?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Mo.glocker, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Mo.glocker

Mo.glocker Mo.glocker

Mar 7, 2018
    EC3866B2-BB11-400F-9363-C9F5B00D315E.jpeg C9A5413A-AD33-49F8-A448-56C8AB69BBCE.jpeg Like it says my aluminum frame commander and my milt Sparks are not getting along,anybody see frame worn like this?

xerts1191 and RN47 like this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Looks more like corrosion than wear.
    If wear is somehow the culprit, it has uncovered a great deal of casting voids.

Capthobo, cwoods, limbkiller and 4 others like this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Leather shouldn't do that. I think it's a metallurgical defect.

4. Mo.glocker

Mo.glocker Mo.glocker

Mar 7, 2018
    Ahh,corrosion,do yo think its sweat?anything i can do?-thanks

5. Regalsc

Regalsc Member

Jun 23, 2018
    There is a post on the Sig Forum where his Milt Sparks holster has destroyed the finish on the poster’s p226 legion. The pictures look just like the ones on the 226 legion. The legions have a PVD finish & it’s down to bare metal on the slide & parts of the frame that contact the holster. Coincidence?

6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    All of my pistols have holster wear from use, Milt Sparks or not

LPRoad and cwoods like this.
  7. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Looks like a poorly cast frame that was covered up with what ever finish. I recently spoke with the R&D person at a Firearms Company about some products and the conversion ventured off into finishes....My Ruger LC9 has barely been shot and the finish shows wear. Rem 870 I don't care for the receiver shows wear and it has never been to the range. Both were bought new.

The R&D Guy told me the EPA has clamped down so hard on the Firearms Industry and what they can and can't use theses days it is hurting Quality.

I would almost have to wonder if that was what happened to the rich Blue/Black Bluing from the 50' through the early 80's.

My S&W Pro Series also has finish wear the appear the same and i just noticed some pitting on the slide I had never noticed before.

Karsten

xerts1191 likes this.
  8. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    What Bender and Karsten said

9. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    It’s def corrosion IMO but the frame should be forged so casting voids shouldn’t be an issue.

william adams likes this.
  10. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    The first photo looks like corrosion. The second looks like wear. Amazing what light can do to a photo. Based off the second photo it looks like wear to me.

11. Mo.glocker

Mo.glocker Mo.glocker

Mar 7, 2018
    i haven’t carried it a year yet but i think its was my sweat i e never had an aluminum frame before but i will rust anything but a glock(weird because i hold water like the hoover dam) i just sold a wiley clapp because the slide was starting to rust,thats why i got this stainless colt, I thought the coating was only coming off so i tried 1000 to see if i could feather it and it is corosion,I guess im going cerakote-jeff

12. Stromburg

Stromburg Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Jeff
    I’d Look at it as the perfect opportunity to add some front strap treatment then send it to Robar for NP3 https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3/

Bender, cwoods and WWB like this.
  13. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    That appears to be poultice corrosion. It occurs when aluminum gets wet and or moist and can’t breath. Most likely from sweat and the tanning chemicals in the hide. It basically makes a battery from metal and chemical reaction. I see it quite frequently in the marine industry. Is the inside of the holster smooth or suede? Interior suede is better than smooth as the smooth side has more chance of creating this due to the tanning chemical on the surface. Alloy frames should be removed from holsters daily to air out when not used and wiped down with a protective oil or silicone.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  14. Mo.glocker

Mo.glocker Mo.glocker

Mar 7, 2018
    Yes the milt is rough side out i guess it ruined my frame

15. Mo.glocker

Mo.glocker Mo.glocker

Mar 7, 2018
  16. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    I don't think you can blame the holster, whomever made it

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

The holster did not ruin your gun. The lack of taking it out of the holster and allowing the holster to dry and breathe is the issue here. I ALWAYS take a gun out of the holster EVERY night. I wipe own the gun and give the holster time to dry out. I hate to be harsh, but neglect caused this corrosion.

william adams and Cw1023 like this.
  18. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I would have thought aluminum impervious to this but I have learned something from the OP's misfortune. I have often left guns in leather holsters for extended periods of time without this occurring. Carbon steel guns and aluminum. The gun is still functional so just enjoy it as a shooter. I am curious if others have experienced this?

19. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    It would be like shooting 76,931 rounds and blaming the bullet manufacturer for the wear on your barrel

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted