Colt chewing up the base of my thumb

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Dreadnought, Aug 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    Don't feel bad, it can happen with 3k guns to.....

IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG

2. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020

3. monster

monster Active Member

May 10, 2020
    The nurse might be able to handle that

Attached Files:

ILED93 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  4. maukings

maukings New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I had the same problem with the thumb safety. It would dig into the webbing at the base of my thumb. Ended up swapping it out for a Wilson and never had a problem again.

River runner likes this.
  5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Ahhh... Nurse Goodbody from Hee Haw.

6. TenX

TenX New Member

Jul 20, 2020
    You should get your thumb off the pistol. You are encouraging thumbing (shots to the right). Only pressure on the grip ideally is straight back on the fore strap, nothing from either side.
    Phil

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  7. Smitty316

Smitty316 Active Member

May 11, 2018
    Kimber thumb safeties do the same thing to me. Look for a replacement with a full bevel along the grip side (I went with a Wilson tactical). Alternatively, file a bevel on your existing thumb safety.

8. Mikey00130

Mikey00130 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I think it might be the cocking serrations when the pistol is returning to battery. The slide is very close to his thumb and squeezing while firing makes the slide ride on the skin. Mine does this to so now I wear light gloves while shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    HAHAHA!..........NO

Greg45acp likes this.
  10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Huh?

Greg45acp likes this.
  11. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Im going to second that . For me putting my thumb up on the safety is a very unnatural way for me to hold the gun . When I try to pull the trigger with my thumb above the safety my hand dose not push the grip safety enough .

I don't think I will ever have that problem when I hold the gun my thumb is lined up with the Mag release .

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    BTW the thumb safety on my RO Champion had some sharp edges that were not making me happy, so for the meantime I just finessed the edges with a file until the thumb safety gets replaced

13. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    I dont really watch shooting videos but who came up with putting your thumb up that high on the gun .
    This would have to weaken your grip as your grip strength is far stronger with your thumb down like you are making a fist and I would think give you better control dealing with recoil .

Beyond that if you were in a fight it would be much easier for someone to take your gun from you with your thumb up that high IMO

14. TenX

TenX New Member

Jul 20, 2020
    I approach it from a bullseye shooter perspective. To use a grip like that would spell disaster accuracy wise in my sport and prompted my original post. Google up Brian Zins who is a 12 time national champion and look at his grip, he might know something. I tried to post a picture of it but couldn't do it.
    Phil

15. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    I approach it from the same perspective . I shoot the gun one handed most of the time and that high thumb thing would not work for me

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted