1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any new colt cobra or king cobra owners? What’s the verdict on these wheel guns?
Good bad? Reason I’m asking? I’m In the market for a CCW wheel gun. I recently handled
A new Night Cobra and was impressed. This will be a regularly carried and shot revolver.
Not abused but shot. (3+ cylinders full, 3+ times a week).

I’m considering others as well from S&W & Ruger.
Ideally a S&W CS-686 would be the ultimate but? (that’s my grail gun)

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Have only had mine for about 2 weeks. Put 12 rounds through it. Recoil is not bad at all. Been dry firing it every day. Very impressed with the trigger. Bobbed hammer allows me to get very high grip. 6 rounds is nice. I live near the equator so I will see how it holds up to rust. For me it is everything I wanted in a carry revolver.

Went with a Tucker Gun Leather cover up revolver holster. Very nice holster. Carry AIWB or 4 o'clock.
Revolver Gun accessory Tile Air gun Trigger
Tan Tail

As stated already the trigger reset is long and then the cylinder release takes getting used to for me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a new Cobra that I bought a little over a year ago. I've put a couple hundred rounds though it and it's functioned very well. I always have a snubby in my carry rotation and this one replaced my Detective Special. The build quality isn't as nice as some of the older ones, but I have no doubt that the gun will take more abuse than I'll ever give it.

Gun Firearm Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory
Gun Gun accessory Trigger Hardwood Ammunition

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
I guess they’re about the size of a K-frame S&W? Or just a little smaller?
My Detective Special is just a hair smaller than a S&W K frames, but fits well in a K frame holster. Unfortunately, I looked at the new Cobra when it was introduced a few years back. The machining / craftsmanship was sub par in my opinion, and I passed. I like the looks of the Night Cobra (DAO) but find the rubber grips hideous. There’s probably some additional grip options, but I haven’t really researched it. Personally OP, I would find yourself an older S&W K frame or Colt Detective Special. Far superior craftsmanship, and excellent DA trigger pulls. And don’t even get me going on the cool factor... best of luck!

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Any new colt cobra or king cobra owners? What’s the verdict on these wheel guns?
Good bad? Reason I’m asking? I’m In the market for a CCW wheel gun. I recently handled
A new Night Cobra and was impressed. This will be a regularly carried and shot revolver.
Not abused but shot. (3+ cylinders full, 3+ times a week).

I’m considering others as well from S&W & Ruger.
Ideally a S&W CS-686 would be the ultimate but? (that’s my grail gun)
One thing to keep in mind, the S&W 686 is an L Frame revolver. Larger than a K frame, and has a full underlug barrel. This all adds to more weight. I have a scadium framed S&W Night Guard (44 Spl.) that’s a dream to carry. But a stainless steel S&W 686 can get a little heavy for all day IWB Carry. To me, the S&W K frame is the Goldilocks of wheelguns!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing to keep in mind, the S&W 686 is an L Frame revolver. Larger than a K frame, and has a full underlug barrel. This all adds to more weight. I have a scadium framed S&W Night Guard (44 Spl.) that’s a dream to carry. But a stainless steel S&W 686 can get a little heavy for all day IWB Carry. To me, the S&W K frame is the Goldilocks of wheelguns!

I’ve got an eye on a 3”k frame along with a few others, ideally a 315 NG or a 386 would be the bees knees for a LW. Heavier a model 58 or the elusive CS686
The L frame or a GP100 even a N frame could do it all a lot heavier (I CCW between a LW commander and 5” Government)
If I buy used the unicorn/cool factor is definitely weighing on my decision,
(41 Charlie pm inbound)

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts

I’ve got an eye on a 3”k frame along with a few others, ideally a 315 NG or a 386 would be the bees knees for a LW. Heavier a model 58 or the elusive CS686
The L frame or a GP100 even a N frame could do it all a lot heavier (I CCW between a LW commander and 5” Government)
If I buy used the unicorn/cool factor is definitely weighing on my decision,
(41 Charlie pm inbound)
Oh baby, 3” K frames are the King of K frames! These are a little hard to come by, and rightfully command a premium. But if you find one, scarf it up quick (or PM me)!! ;)

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I've got a Night Cobra, several S&Ws, and a GP100. The Cobra is a nice gun, I was impressed with the fit and finish, it's really nicely put together and looks better in person than in pics. My one gripe is that I do not like the grips, they're too thick and make an otherwise very concealable gun rather bulbous on the grip end. All of the aftermarket grips I've found for the new Cobra are essentially the same size and shape and the old style Cobra grips don't fit without surgery. I've seen listings for a new edition of the Cobra that has "retro" style wooden grips but I can't find where to get a set. IMO, they'd make the gun much slimmer and more "carryable". The Night Cobra has G10 grips, not rubber.

I think the DAO trigger is excellent, one of the best factory DA revolver triggers I've felt. Personally I like the Colt trigger pull better than S&W's, I prefer the shorter pull compared to the S&W, the slightly longer reset doesn't bother me. In fact, several of my S&W's have trigger stops, they help shorten the pull by eliminating a lot of the overtravel, kind of the best of both worlds. My GP100 Match Champion has a nice DA trigger but both the pull and the reset are very long compared to either the S&W or Colt.

The Cobra is smaller than a K-frame, about the size of a Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl. The 686, even with a 3" barrel is a completely different animal, much larger frame and cylinder much heavier. They're nice guns but, IMO, you have to really commit to carrying a larger framed revolver, regardless of weight. That said, I often carry a custom 3" N frame .41 mag but the width of the gun makes it an open carry summer gun or cold weather concealed carry gun. I've had 296s, 315s, 386s - they're light but you're still contending with width and speed loaders unless you go with speed strips, which are substantially slower to reload. 3" Ks are real nice for carry. These days, unless I'm working outside and carrying a large frame or single action revolver, if I'm carrying a revolver it's a small frame snubby in a pocket. The Cobra is a little heavy for that, though I'll occasionally carry it in a belt holster. It's a nice gun but kind of an in-between size for me. Not as small, light, and convenient as a J frame, not big enough to commit to for regular carry because I an just as easily carry a larger, more powerful revolver. I like the gun but I'm on the fence as to where it fits my needs.

I just lined these up for a quick comparison pic - .38spl J Frame, .38spl Cobra, .45ACP Commander, .357mag GP100, .41mag N frame. The frame size differences are obvious, I don't have a 686 right now but the GP100 and 686 frames are about the same size. Looking at this picture I was surprised at how compact the Commander is compared to the wheel guns. Also, gun weights are always a consideration, here are the empty weights of each according to our digital kitchen scale -
360J - 12oz
Cobra - 26.8oz
LW Commander - 26.9oz (no mag)
GP100 37.8oz
M28-2 - 35.1oz

For what it's worth the Cobra loaded with six 125gr rounds weighs 29.7 and the LW Commander is 35.9 loaded with nine 230gr rounds.

I like carrying revolvers but I prefer them either little because they're light and easy to conceal, or big, because they're easy to shoot and can be had in more powerful calibers. However, in between those two is what/where I carry most - the LW Commander - it's the perfect combination of weight, balance, capacity, power, and concealability. That said, I think I'm in the mood to carry the .41mag today.:grin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.