1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a colt lightweight commander that somebody did some work on. Today at the range the mag got stuck in the gun to the point I couldn’t get it out. Finally got it preyed out of the gun and then the problem completely went away. Then fairly often when I pulled the trigger the hammer wouldn’t fall. Backed out the set screw and that helped alittle. Got it home and looked into it. The problem now is it seems the the trigger is getting stuck in the rear position against the grip safety. The gremlins are really at work in this one. Need advice, thinking of ordering a new grip safety
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Wood

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
I am not a smith so Id defer to @pistolwretch @Integrity Arms @Steve in Allentown

But have you looked at the trigger bow? Sounds like maybe someone messed with it or it wasnt properly fitted and the magazine has banged into it / now catching on it.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,300 Posts
Sorry I'm gonna steer clear of this one, pins are indeed backwards, a new grip safety won't help, and the trigger bow is probably shot. That looks like a bubba smith job to me. Sear spring is probably out of adjustment, or shot as well. That gun is gonna need some professional help imo... Most definitely a new trigger, and current beavertail actually fitted, those are not drop in either. The hammer looks like a Wilson buy line deal, and I assume the sear and disco probably are as well. And while WC BP parts are fabulous, their buy line products suck.. Not sure they made LW series 80 cmdrs, but I could be wrong. At least I've never seen one.

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Sorry I'm gonna steer clear of this one, pins are indeed backwards, a new grip safety won't help, and the trigger bow is probably shot. That looks like a bubba smith job to me. Sear spring is probably out of adjustment, or shot as well. That gun is gonna need some professional help imo... Most definitely a new trigger, and current beavertail actually fitted, those are not drop in either. The hammer looks like a Wilson buy line deal, and I assume the sear and disco probably are as well. And while WC BP parts are fabulous, their buy line products suck.. Not sure they made LW series 80 cmdrs, but I could be wrong. At least I've never seen one.
Interesting, cant see the SN, be interesting to look it up on Colt's site and see what comes back. Wonder if someone swapped slide and frames to build a franken gun

·
NRA Endowment member
3,671 Posts
Beaver tail grip safety is miss match to frame also. Way off on width to frame dimension.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,300 Posts
Has old style Wilson combat rear sight. Wasn't aware lw colts weren't series 80.
I'm sure their were some, but most LW cmdrs are older pistols. 50s 60s era I believe.. I'm building a lw 9mm Cmdr now series or pre series 70. But, with Colts all things are possible lol.. @Karl Beining could tell us for sure.. :)

·
KGB Customs LLC
4,790 Posts
It's a 1990s Enhanced LW Commander given what I can see from the features and serial, the trigger/BTGS interface needs properly fit, it may be that those parts are not getting along causing much of what you are seeing. Probably a quick fix for some one experienced in the platform. Mags sticking can be grip bushings, grip screws, trigger bows, mag catch, or even a mag with trash dimensions...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think you answered your own question when you said "someone did some work on". Like several have suggested you need to get it to a competent smith for evaluation and correction.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Hi,
For the OP, my opinion is, that's a great pistol!

Just right, for a base gun, for a rebuild ,with a real Gunsmith, and they are here to reach out to.

Being a Colt, will retain it's value, and those Commanders make a great CCW!

Just sayin, nothing that can't be fixed, and or enhanced!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts