Colt commander misfire

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by paulcsolano, Jan 5, 2019.

1. paulcsolano

paulcsolano New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Recently got a used colt commander and I took it shooting today. It kept jamming on me. I would shoot a couple of times and it wouldn't eject the spent shell before the next round fed in. Sometimes I could shoot 3 rounds, sometimes it would be every other round but I couldn't go through a full clip without it jamming. Shot 2 boxes of different brands of ammo. What could be causing this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

3. paulcsolano

paulcsolano New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    9mm

4. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I replace the recoil spring on all used 1911s I purchase. This just reassurs me I’m starting off fresh. I’m not sure if this is the problem, but it’s just something I’ve always done.

Mike A and mikegalway like this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Have the extractor checked.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  6. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Were you using the same magazine every time ? Most of my 1911 feed issues have been solved by a simple magazine change.

7. paulcsolano

paulcsolano New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Yes, same magazine

8. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Start fresh with pre owned 1911 . Replace , recoil , main , and firing pin spring . invest in a good mag. , I prefer Wilson . Check extractor tension .

Busa Dave and 41 Charlie like this.
  9. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Then I would give the gun a good cleaning, oil it up and try another magazine before I started pursuing other options. Cheapest and easiest thing to try first and you would be amazed at the number of times a new magazine will solve a feed issue.

Busa Dave and Mike A like this.
  10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    The extractor of a 9mm 1911 is very different from a .45 version; the internet is a source of representative drawings.

11. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    We all have purchased used Guns & Cars with problems. If you are not a Mechanic or Gun Smith, it may be cheaper & faster to take it to an expert.
    To guess over the phone or online is at best a guess, & can not repair a problem that may be a simple fix. My advice is to take it to a qualified Smith & have it repaired.
    A small problem can be made worse by tinkering around the edges, just a suggestion from a friend :).

Longbow, Busa Dave, rmac and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted