Colt Commercial/Military

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by SonnyAK, Jul 21, 2020.

1. SonnyAK

SonnyAK Active Member

Mar 19, 2020
    I've been looking for a really nice WWII Colt for a while now and came across the auction of this commercial/military Colt. I've always liked the story of those few commercial guns being altered and pushed into military service! Long story short, I won the auction and picked it up from my FFL today. I couldn't be happier with it's originality and condition. Ran a magazine through it earlier, and the gun shoots just as well as it looks! It's amazing to find military guns in this original condition considering the life it's led. Says a lot for how well it's previous caretakers have done their job. I guess it's up to me now going into it's future years - hopefully for quite a while... G1.jpg G2.jpg G3.jpg G4.jpg G5.jpg G6.jpg

blamo, Whiten, Greg45acp and 9 others like this.
  2. robs9

robs9 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2015
    Beautiful!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SonnyAK likes this.

3. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Very nice. Always a good day when you pick up something that you have been searching for, congrats on your new 1911

SonnyAK likes this.
  4. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Some times you can read the original serial number under the re-stamped military number under the firing pin stop plate.

SonnyAK likes this.
  5. SonnyAK

SonnyAK Active Member

Mar 19, 2020
    I'll give it a good look. There was a photo of it in the sale, and I could see some underneath, but not well enough to tell what they were. I'll take a look soon with a magnifier.

6. JMV375

JMV375 Active Member

Apr 5, 2014
    That is a great gun. Very collectible in the 1911A1 world. Good for you!!!
    Shoot and enjoy owning a real piece of WW II history.

SonnyAK likes this.
  7. SonnyAK

SonnyAK Active Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Thanks JMV375! I'm super excited to have it and will certainly exercise it from time to time!

8. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Nice original finish Colts from WWII are getting harder and harder to find without paying an arm and a leg. "Exercise" it enough and it will eventually look like the rest of the weary 1911A1's we see at the gun shows.

SonnyAK likes this.
  9. SonnyAK

SonnyAK Active Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Lakeman45, Sadly I did have to pay pretty dearly for it, so while it'll see a few rounds from time to time (just so it remembers how to do it) it'll be treated very nicely. I have way too many other 1911's around that I can run through the real ringer :)

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
  11. JMV375

JMV375 Active Member

Apr 5, 2014
    If you don’t mind - how much did you give for it ?

12. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    If anything like me; more than I wanted to, but not as much as I would have.

13. SonnyAK

SonnyAK Active Member

Mar 19, 2020
    That's for sure!! I think we all lose our minds sometimes while buying the ones we really want!! I responded to JMV375 with a PM since I hate to put $$$ amounts out there, but if anyone else really wants to know just shoot me a message and I'll be happy to tell. It was more than I wanted to spend, but still the nicest and best priced one I'd found - not sure if that makes the financial sting any better, but I'm definitely still happy to have it, with no buyer's remorse :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted