1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February I contacted the Colt Custom Shop and asked them to work over a plain-jane Series 80 blued Gov't model. I specced their Tactical Package with a couple of extras; ball cuts, and a flush cut and crowned National Match barrel fitted. Today, it showed back up on my doorstep, and I couldn't be happier with it. I took a bunch of photos right after I took it out of the box and wiped off the factory preservative, then a couple more after I had it apart, cleaned it out, re-lubed and slapped it back together, with a set of old hardball grips I had laying around in lieu of the factory walnut. Not that the walnut was bad, but it needs more...and I may be shopping for some more grips later. Sadly since Raasco isn't doing their thing anymore, I need to figure out a new place to grip shop...

Anyway, photos - in the first one you can see the test target with the NM barrel:

After the factory preservative was cleaned off and the gun gone through/lubed/reassembled:

I didn't go with any wonder-finishes for a few reasons; I prefer blued, and I didn't want to drop a lot of dimes on a super pretty blue that was going to be worn off after a year or two of practice and carry. I'll see how it holds up in a year or two, and if it needs a refresh or a DLC or something, I'll make that decision then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy cow. A 4 month turnaround from the Colt Custom Shop? Amazing!!
Actually less...I sent it February 25th, so closer to 3 months! I don't know if I just timed it right when they were doing a run of the work I had requested, or what...but I'm super happy with that turnaround, too.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,031 Posts
Holy cow. A 4 month turnaround from the Colt Custom Shop? Amazing!!
I was thinking the same thing. It would be terrific if they'd finally gotten a handle on their turn around times.

OP- The gun looks terrific. I have a couple that have been through the custom shop and they're great guns, good looking and excellent shooters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What maker stamp number is under the grip? Is there one?
No number that I can find under either grip panel, which is a little odd, but who knows...

In contrast, my S70 reissue that I had CCS work over similarly in circa 2012-ish, is numbered "4" in line with the mag catch, underneath the left grip panel..

Edited to add - funny thing is, you touched that S70 reissue too, a few years ago :giggle: Short version was, running it with weak mag springs wasn't pushing the slide stop up far enough and it eventually beat out/rounded off the rear slide stop notch corner. Colt was gracious enough to actually touch it with a mill and right it for free under warranty (one of many reasons I'm still a Colt fanboy)...but, they then installed a new slide stop without really fitting it, and it was either locking open prematurely, or something like that. I contacted you guys, and you turned it around with a new fitted slide stop. Runs great, btw...I don't shoot it as often (now, anyway) because I switched up how I carry, and I actually explicitly wanted an 80 series for carry now :)

·
Deo Volente
7,636 Posts
Contact Jon at High Figure Grips and ask him about some of his Ironwood Grips. You will LOVE these grips and Jon can even checker them for you. Full Size 1911 Grips | High Figure Grips | Handcrafted Grips

If you do get new grips consider getting mirror image Colt medallions from Nutmeg Sports. The pony faces forward on each side of your grips. Look under the grip section and go to the very bottom, M3 or M4 is what you want.
Nutmeg Sports, LLC

Reactions: Evil_Ed

·
Registered
761 Posts
There may be a number on the trigger guard? Did someone sign the target?

Cool build. I love me some 1991s.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That'll do pig, that'll do. Exactly as I'd have spec'd it myself except for a wedge or arched MS housing. Everything you need + a few class extras. If you lose your mind and want something "better", I'm your huckleberry...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts