1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There may be a number on the trigger guard? Did someone sign the target?

Cool build. I love me some 1991s.
Nothing other than the VP in a triangle on the trigger guard sadly...

They did sign the test target...but I can't read it lol

M...l(b?)..y S...l(b?)..ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
What’s retro about it? Just curious.
It doesn't have a red dot sight on it? ;) "Retro" is relative. That Novak sight first showed up in the 1980's. Checkering and extended thumb safeties earlier than that. The high-sweep beavertail is probably the most modern thing about this blaster. I recall Brown's hitting market in the 1990's IIRC. Commander hammer? 1960's or so. Flat mainspring housing and long trigger? They pre-date the "new-fangled" 1911A1 mods.

I tend to agree that "retro" would be better applied to a build that has a rear sight that fits the GI dovetail and a standard 1911A1 type grip safety. Still, as I become more "retro" myself, some of the cutting edge features of yesteryear seem less avant-garde.

Rosco

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
...And it turns out, they no longer stamp customer-supplied guns that come through for custom work. Apparently one customer complained about it, so they stopped marking customer guns. They now only mark customs that originate there, and are not built on customer-supplied pieces.

That's a shame, and I sincerely hope that Colt fires that customer.

Edited to add - had I known that, I probably would have sprung for their "Colt Custom" marking on the front dust cover. It's a little...busy, let's call it...but at least it would have been provenance/proof (beyond the invoice) that it passed through their hands.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Hate that marking they use on the dust cover. Laser etched BS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't disagree that it isn't the prettiest thing out there, but now that there's no gunsmith markings under the grips anymore...there's only a few ways to establish provenance for the gun since it has no markings indicating that Colt did the work.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,739 Posts
Very nice Colt! Some Ironwood double diamond Checkered grips would look nice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Anybody else surprised Colt CS has their doors open? I remember this package, I wanted it so bad about 10 years ago. They kept their shop book closed every time I checked.

·
Never Forget
9,172 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. It would be terrific if they'd finally gotten a handle on their turn around times.

OP- The gun looks terrific. I have a couple that have been through the custom shop and they're great guns, good looking and excellent shooters.
And I'll own one of them eventually. 😉

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
...And it turns out, they no longer stamp customer-supplied guns that come through for custom work. Apparently one customer complained about it, so they stopped marking customer guns. They now only mark customs that originate there, and are not built on customer-supplied pieces.

That's a shame, and I sincerely hope that Colt fires that customer.

Edited to add - had I known that, I probably would have sprung for their "Colt Custom" marking on the front dust cover. It's a little...busy, let's call it...but at least it would have been provenance/proof (beyond the invoice) that it passed through their hands.
Nice build I saw it on P-Forum, as for the markings it’s does suck Colt stopped doing them but lost of custom builders don’t. My Garthwaite Colt doesn’t have any but I don’t value it any less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice build I saw it on P-Forum, as for the markings it’s does suck Colt stopped doing them but lost of custom builders don’t. My Garthwaite Colt doesn’t have any but I don’t value it any less.
I sure don't value it less, buuuuuuuuuut if you're gonna get a gun worked over by a higher end smith...you want at least some subtle hint to someone who knows where to look and what to look for, that it was indeed done by someone who's not a bubba with a dremel :)

If/when I get another one done, I'll request that the gunsmith be allowed to mark the gun appropriately...I still can't believe someone complained about that. Oh well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts