1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site, and wanted to take advantage of some 1911 experts opinions
I have several polymers pistols, SA/DA, and revolvers but just now getting the 1911 bug. Been looking at a Colt Defender with and a Sig Ultra Compact both in 9mm with 3' barrels. Very similar feel in the hand. What's the good bad and ugly or.any other recommendations? Thanks for your help

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,861 Posts
I had a Sig Ultra Compact .45 for about 6 months. It was a nice shooting accurate hand gun, in around 1200 rounds of hardball it never hiccupped and was kind of cool to have a small bigger bore gun like that. I ended up selling it cause it wasn't a Colt...my own stupid prejudice, though I will admit I bought it cause I was curious.

Never tried a Defender.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,806 Posts
Historically, 4.25” Commanders and 5” Government models tend to be more reliable than the 3” 1911s. My Colt Defender is a very reliable 1911. However, I carry a Government model 1911 or S&W revolver daily. These guns are more reassuring for me to carry daily. JMHO.

·
On The Lost Highway
268 Posts
I've owned both a Defender and a Sig Ultra.

I traded away the Defender and still have the Sig.

The fit and finish on the Sig was better, including a checkered front strap, night sights, and ramped barrel.

Both pistols were 100% dependable. They are in the same price range too.

I would recommend holding each in your hands. Which feels better to you?

One thing I've always found with Colt pistols, resale value. People are more crazy about them than I am. So, you can't go wrong because they are easy to trade or sell if you change your mind later.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have a 2002 Defender in 45 on top which I did carry for a few years and a 2010 in 9mm on the bottom. I thought my wife might like the 9mm but she did not. On the other hand I enjoyed shooting it. Do not carry it and it is more of a range toy. It has been very reliable but I mainly shoot FMJ in it.

Have not shot the little SIG 1911 although do have a P365 (nice pistol). I guess some things to compare would be does the SIG have a throated barrel. The Colt does not. Does the SIG have an internal or external extractor? Also check into getting replacement recoil springs and I am guessing the little SIG has more than one. Even if you can't shoot one next to the other then maybe you could compare one next to the other at a LGS. Get a basic feel of each and how you like the sights.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've had some experience with the shorty SIGS, mine have run without fail. Which can be a stumbling block on short 1911's.
No serious experience with the Colt shorties so won't comment.
Info is helpful etc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I’m a diehard Colt fan from way back.

That said, about four months ago, my wife told me about a closeout sale for a little Sig Ultra 1911 at what happened to be my favorite LGS; a .45 Sig Ultra Tribal.

So, I went online to check it out. First; all of the reviews were positive! It was a discontinued model (just the Tribal, not Ultras in general), that came with a mag well, nite sights, alloy frame with a stainless slide, and a FLGR, along with a non-captive flat wire recoil spring, as opposed to the captive recoil assemblies that most subcompact 1911’s come with. It also has a 3.3” ramped stainless barrel. I consider any length over the standard 3” that most come with to be a plus.

So, I bought it, put it on the bench for a field strip and cleaning (it came with a white grease pretty much everywhere inside), then went to the range.

It shot flawlessly that day, and had less perceived recoil than any other 3” 1911’s that I’d owned previously, and had no malfunctions! So, I shot it at the next two week’s IDPA practices, and still had no malfunctions, including shooting HP ammo.

After some 300 plus trouble free rounds, I detail stripped it, did another cleaning, and put it into my carry rotation.

The only negative things that I can say about it are that, due to the fatter slide geometry that Sig 1911s have compared to anyone else; I had to do the waxed paper holster break-in to get it to fit in my existing 1911 holsters. Second, that external extractor, while functioning flawlessly; was throwing my brass somewhere into the next county, and I know of no way to tune it, compared to a standard internal extractor. Thankfully, the crew at the IDPA practices were able to find most of it for me while looking for their own 9mm brass.

Bottom line; I’m very happy with it for a carry gun, and don’t intend to look any further for a sub-compact 1911.

964A34C6-8DB7-429B-983E-D5263E16634E.jpeg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rick McC ,
That’s a very nice looking carry pistol . I like graphics on the slide and the grips. I am assuming this is only on the “ Tribal “ edition.
Although not to the original design , I wonder if the external extractor is more trouble free.. (?)
Enjoy it ...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Rick McC ,
That’s a very nice looking carry pistol . I like graphics on the slide and the grips. I am assuming this is only on the “ Tribal “ edition.
Although not to the original design , I wonder if the external extractor is more trouble free.. (?)
Enjoy it ...
Yes Sir; the graphics are what makes it “Tribal,” I guess. I don’t think that the standard Sig Ultras come with a mag well, either.

The only change I made to the pistol was to install a C&S light pull sear spring.

6AB6A605-599C-4B7D-884A-FA5DD5BA310B.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts