1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clearly violated DSK’s rule of unnecessary modification. I have a defender that has never missed a beat. In a fit of boredom. I ordered the EGW ignition kit and their recoil spring assembly.

These folks were extremely helpful on the phone and I ordered the kit directly from them. I learned the hard way that the hammer Spring was not meant for the defender and I put the original back in. I had to fit the thumb safety a little bit and it is very positive.
I had to tweak the leg of the spring a little bit to get the thumb safety to work but all function checks are 100%.

First trip to the range yesterday I had a number of stoppages where ball ammo would stop at the bottom of the ramp. I realize I made a judgemental error in changing several things at once. The magazines I used yesterday were Wilson combat seven round compact magazines, in 45 with the stoppages not occurring on any particular round number in the magazine.

· Registered
376 Posts
I clearly violated DSK’s rule of unnecessary modification. I have a defender that has never missed a beat. In a fit of boredom. I ordered the EGW ignition kit and their recoil spring assembly.

These folks were extremely helpful on the phone and I ordered the kit directly from them. I learned the hard way that the hammer Spring was not meant for the defender and I put the original back in. I had to fit the thumb safety a little bit and it is very positive.
I had to tweak the leg of the spring a little bit to get the thumb safety to work but all function checks are 100%.

First trip to the range yesterday I had a number of stoppages where ball ammo would stop at the bottom of the ramp. I realize I made a judgemental error in changing several things at once. The magazines I used yesterday were Wilson combat seven round compact magazines, in 45 with the stoppages not occurring on any particular round number in the magazine.
I always got extra parts to mess around, save original to go back if it did not work. Too many things change is hard to troubleshoot the issues.

· Registered
64 Posts
RSA, extractor, and even mag feed lip adjustment can and will effect operation.
While conquering this issue, you’re gonna learn tons of information about firearm operation.
Look at it as a learning experience.
Nothing ventured….Nothing gained.
I do it all the time… (y)

· Registered
458 Posts
WARNING?

This thread is a word for word copy of a thread I started in the gunsmithing section of the 1911 forum. I’m not sure what the motivation is I’m not sure if I’ve been hacked, but I change the password on both accounts.

In other words, somehow, unless there’s something that happened, I don’t understand, someone copied verbatim something I had posted on another forum and then posted it over here as if it were their issue.

This has been reported to the administrators and I’m hoping there’s some logical explanation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts