1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I’d like to get some opinions on this rescued this GCNM that I took in trade.

I’m into it for a couple of hundred at this point. I was planing on doing most of the work myself. Learning experience.

The original owner installed a grip safety. I have no history on it and was wanting to get some opinions on Grip Safety Replacement. This work was done sometime in the late 80’s or early 90’s

I tried to install a Wilson drop in but that didn’t work. Pics will illustrate the result. The Wilson Drop in is the Blued Grip safety and had a 1/2 gap.

I’m trying to determine the radius; is it
Wilson/Caspian

Should I buy the Wilson and Brown Jigs to see if it matches generally speaking and then proceed with grip safety purchase and fitting?

any other advice appreciated.

Do the tangs need to be re-welded and then install and fit new grip safety.

Thanks for your help.

eta: sorry for the potato pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why would the mfg make a part that you have to cut your frame to use? Not saying it wrong, but just wondering why? I can see having to do some fitting, but cutting the frame? Feel free to enlighten me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Wilson Combat Jig appears to fit. it looks like if I use the Wilson Combat jig and part number 885S I should get a snug fit.

Based upon pics it looks like minimal removal of the tang.

Do you agree this is the correct approach?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi,
No, it fits at the top but not the bottom...(maybe not even the top)
Which means it's probably a .250, like an Ed Brown.
If that does not fit, you could try a .220!
Careful or it's tang welding time. (which is not the end of the world!)
Good luck!
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpeg

·
Registered
149 Posts
1rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpeg

The edge of the jig is proud of the tang at the arrow, you don't have any material to take off as the radius is different. WC uses a different radius, it's not .250. So if you made the rest of the tang fit you would have a big gap at the bottom. No Bueno...

If you don't have a .250 jig you can find something round with a diameter of .5", and a flat end. Put that in the old grip safety where the tang normally fits. If your "tool" fits the radius of the old grip safety, then you are dealing with a .250 radius. You can hold your "tool" up to the tangs and simulate a jig also. Make sure you have material to remove all the way around the jig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts