1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of using a Colt Gold Cup Trophy as a CCW piece? This is one of the newer Gold Cup Trophy's with the Bomar style rear sights and beavertail grip safeties.

The only complaint I have heard is that the trigger is too wide and might contact the edge of the holster when holstering the pistol.

Attachments

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
The adjustable sight may be problematic when drawing the pistol - it could hang up on clothing.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Reactions: Dub

·
Make it a double
16,999 Posts
As long as you get used to the draw, I say go for it. I carried an STI with a target sight for a year. Just get used to the sight snagging on your shirt. It will be better than the guy not carrying because he thinks too much.

·
Make it a double
16,999 Posts
I also carry revolvers with target sights sometimes. Better to be armed with a target sighted gun than to be without. Let’s see pics of the pistola if you don’t mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I normally carry a Hi Power. I was just tossing around the idea of carrying the Gold Cup. I have a 69 C Series that I used to carry and a couple others. I have a new 01991 at Doug Jones shop now. He is building me my idea of the ultimate carry 1911 sleeper.

The rear sight blade has rounded corners so I don't think snagging would be a big issue.

I'd like to get a shorter solid trigger for it but I don't know of any out there.

I'll post up better pics of the GCT tomorrow.

Thank you for the replies, guys

·
Banned
180 Posts
Colt makes one of the best gun and i am sure the one in question is accurate and reliable but i'd never carry a guns that more can 4".

·
الواحد
1,186 Posts
I’m a non adjustable sight guy. For hard use/Carry guns. Follow me here I’m going places:

1. Though most of us well never need to use the carry gun, carry guns have a rough life if you think about it.
-They are on us for long periods of time doing everything with us.
-They get bumped on things. Doorways desks counters
-They catch on things getting into and out of the car. Rubbed against seat belts
2. Look at the shape of police turn ins. Shot very little, carried everyday. Most of which have the grip texture rubbed off on the outside while the body side of the gun is pristine.
3. Ol reliable typically doesn’t get the attention and maintenance that she should.

I had a very knowledgeable and skilled gunsmith build me a older early 2000s SFOD-D clone 1911. He had first hand knowledge on what went into those guns. I shot several matches with it and decided to take to training with me one day. The focus of training that day what malfunctions and reloaded. I think we were about 35mins into training when I racked my slide and my adjustable sight came apart in my hand. No big deal things break I’ll have it replace and go back out. Well after 3 different rear sights I called. No more adjustable rears on a hard use gun.

I know what your thinking “Infidel, you can use the slide release or use the pinch method of pulling back on the slide. Competitors used adjustable sights all the time” and you’d be right however, I’m not going to limit myself to using my gun a certain way so that it doesn’t break.

I’m not saying adjustable sights are bad or weak. I am saying I’m hard on guns. The overwhelming majority of civilian pistol fights happen at contact distances. If you’ve ever done force on force training, you and equipment take a beating. If you haven’t done force on force training and you carry I highly recommend that you do get some force on force training.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m a non adjustable sight guy. For hard use/Carry guns. Follow me here I’m going places:

1. Though most of us well never need to use the carry gun, carry guns have a rough life if you think about it.
-They are on us for long periods of time doing everything with us.
-They get bumped on things. Doorways desks counters
-They catch on things getting into and out of the car. Rubbed against seat belts
2. Look at the shape of police turn ins. Shot very little, carried everyday. Most of which have the grip texture rubbed off on the outside while the body side of the gun is pristine.
3. Ol reliable typically doesn’t get the attention and maintenance that she should.

I had a very knowledgeable and skilled gunsmith build me a older early 2000s SFOD-D clone 1911. He had first hand knowledge on what went into those guns. I shot several matches with it and decided to take to training with me one day. The focus of training that day what malfunctions and reloaded. I think we were about 35mins into training when I racked my slide and my adjustable sight came apart in my hand. No big deal things break I’ll have it replace and go back out. Well after 3 different rear sights I called. No more adjustable rears on a hard use gun.

I know what your thinking “Infidel, you can use the slide release or use the pinch method of pulling back on the slide. Competitors used adjustable sights all the time” and you’d be right however, I’m not going to limit myself to using my gun a certain way so that it doesn’t break.

I’m not saying adjustable sights are bad or weak. I am saying I’m hard on guns. The overwhelming majority of civilian pistol fights happen at contact distances. If you’ve ever done force on force training, you and equipment take a beating. If you haven’t done force on force training and you carry I highly recommend that you do get some force on force training.
Good reply.
Was it a Bomar or Bomar style sight that broke on you? Bomars are pretty tough but like all things mechanical they will break when you might need them most.

·
الواحد
1,186 Posts
Good reply.
Was it a Bomar or Bomar style sight that broke on you? Bomars are pretty tough but like all things mechanical they will break when you might need them most.
Yes I believe the first two were. I also have a bomar on my high power it’s been on there since the 90s but I have less than 200rds through this pistol. It was my Dad’s and sits in the safe rarely seeing day light.
Gun Brown Firearm Trigger White

·
Premium Member
28,384 Posts
Nothing wrong with a GCT for carry. Better than no carry. Would not be my preferred carry. Trigger would not bother me as much as the rear sight.

“Run what ya brung.......”

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I believe the first two were. I also have a bomar on my high power it’s been on there since the 90s but I have less than 200rds through this pistol. It was my Dad’s and sits in the safe rarely seeing day light.
View attachment 402685
My Hi Power had the same sights. Those are Milletts. They were too tall and did snag on everything. I swapped those out for a set of Wilson Nite Eyes back in the mid 90's. They are dead now. But still work great for day light shooting. The Hi Power I carry has the old MMC adjustable sights with the armored wings protecting the rear sight. They do not snag and are tough. Too bad MMC doesn't make them anymore. The Gold Cup has a Bomar clone.

I'll take pics here in a minute.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Holly Cow! I've carried sidearms for 40 years and I've never had a problem with an adjustable sight. The only consideration I would have is carrying a gun I use in matches. Only in that case would I be mindful of knocks and wear. The only issue I had was with a Colt Trooper duty gun that had chips in the grips from hitting desks and doorways. As far as the draw and the potential for snagging, practice, practice, practice. I've always believed you could tie a rope around a gun with a knot in it and with practice you could give a good showing of your draw. If a gun has your confidence reward it with EDC.

·
chicken wings
1,876 Posts
I have carried my GCNM and GCT. I’d say go for it. Yes, the sights can snag but I did fine. The GCNM and GCT are supposed to be Colt’s top of the line. Mine are reliable and accurate. I’d do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts