1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
Follow me on Instagram for upcoming for sale items, keyword TexasPatriotArms
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greg Derr, Derr Precision (APG 2019 Pistolsmith of The Year)

“Like tuning a piano, no machine can do that; it has to be an educated finger in the end – Greg Derr”

Greg Derr has been a lifelong pistol shooter, starting as a young boy picking up his father’s brass on the range. He apprenticed under US Navy champion shooter and gunsmith Donald Hamilton for fifteen years during which he was introduced to some of the best bullseye gunsmiths across the country from shops like the Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning Georgia and the US Air Force shop at Lackland AFB in Texas. All the while studying the work of the “old masters” who created many of the techniques used today to squeeze the most accuracy out of a 1911. Derr took it all in, from old world hand files to precision machining but in the end still relies on the “feel” of a well-fit gun and how the trigger should “break” for the perfect shot at fifty yards.

Greg has competed in NRA Bullseye and Olympic style pistol for over 30 years. During that time he has won ten US Championships and set dozens of national records. During his ten years with the US Shooting Team he represented the United States in World Cups, World Championships and the Olympics, specializing in Free Pistol and Air Pistol competition. He was “Shooter of the Year” in 1993 and has earned “Elite Athlete” status from the US. Olympic Committee. Greg retired for world competition after the 1996 Olympics to focus on family and building his custom 1911 gunsmithing business, Derr Precision. His son Nick has started his long apprenticeship working alongside his dad.

Greg is the gunsmithing columnist for American Handgunner magazine. He was selected as a member of the American Pistolsmith Guild in 2015, and recently led the team of APG members who built a custom 1911 pistol for President Trump. In 2019 Greg was named “Pistolsmith of the Year” by the American Pistolsmith Guild.

Folks, I've had this pistol since last year, just waiting, waiting! for Greg to have ONE accomplishment to his name. But alas, I can't keep waiting Greg, there's bills to pay!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL SPREAD: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hhziGLoa3qsBGRqEA

Salient Build Details:

• Refit Slide to Frame
    • Fit and tune Kart National Match 9mm barrel
    • Custom fit EGW thick flange barrel bushing
    • Reverse crown 35 degree
    • Flatten top and serrate slide with arrow pattern
    • Custom bottom bevel slide
    • Machine slide for Heinie Ledge rear sight
    • Machine slide for custom Yost Gold Line front sight
    • Checker frame 25 lpi and high cut trigger guard
    • Checker MSH 25 lpi
    • Custom fit EGW high-rise beavertail grip safety
    • Custom install and profile EGW wide thumb safety
    • Install and tune all bar stock internals
    • Install and tune long match trigger
    • Trigger job tuned to 3.5# crisp break
    • Tune and install extended Ed Brown mag release
    • Bevel magwell
    • Radius frame and MSH butt
    • Finish in classic blue with polished pins and screws
    • Custom burl grips
    • Tested and supplied with two Tripp Cobramags
Addicts Price: $6100 shipped PP F&F, $6300 Credit (no trades please)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My goodness ... that is beautiful.

Reactions: TXP8RIOT

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I thought that lower right side grip screw not being clocked might limit the sale on this one. Whew. Glad you were able to move it. @TSean, I’d be glad to get that fixed for you, just let it keep going an extra hour West on I-10.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought that lower right side grip screw not being clocked might limit the sale on this one. Whew. Glad you were able to move it. @TSean, I’d be glad to get that fixed for you, just let it keep going an extra hour West on I-10.
@WoodrowAugustus haha! Man great suggestion, I don’t know how I’ll ever live with that grip screw. If the strain becomes too much to bear, it’s good to know you’re just down the road. I’ll bet I manage though ha!

Thanks to all for the congrats and to Mark for sourcing such fine pistols so he can lighten the dreadful burden in our wallets haha! Y’all have a good one!

-Sean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts