1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after deciding to keep the 5" I had to get out to my recently re-opened range this afternoon for some fun. I had a wide variety of factory ammo, all 230gr; Federal HST, Fed American Eagle, Magtech, Sig and Winchester Ranger.

I used 10 Wilson mags-2 are 7 rounders and 8 are 8 rounders. A couple I picked up last year but all the others are at least 10 years old. With two of them I had feeding issues, separated them from the rest and in the range bag they went.

From that point on the gun/mags functioned flawlessly. I used an IDPA target, started at 10 yards to get a feel for it, then started playing around from 3 yards out to 15. My range has a great target system that has pre-programmed drills, user programmed and a manual mode.

The pistol did everything I could ask of it. Great shooter and have the utmost confidence in it.

It didn't matter which ammo I used they all shot to point of aim...when I did my part LOL.

The gun felt great-love the way the Wiley Clapp grips flare slightly wider at the rear compared to the regular thin grips (never been a fan of them), no issues holding on to it with the serrations on the grip frame vs checkering. I prefer a mid-length trigger and will probably get one fitted with a little less play than the factory short trigger but the reset is great once I got into the groove with it's feel.

This photo is from my last drill. The target was set at 15 yards, would turn to face me for 3 seconds then turn away for 4. I like to think I'm pretty good at "minute of pie plate", definitely no bullseye shooter and never have been. The two I dropped off the plate were at 15 and I know I rushed those shots.

To say I'm happy is an understatement. Cleaning it shortly then in the holster it'll go.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great range report and great looking 1911. I'm a fan of the Wiley Clapp grips. If I ever get a Colt I'll put them on it. Do have them on a revolver though. Glad you love the Gun Site Colt!
IMG_1795.jpg

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Is that a GP100 3" Wiley Clapp? I'm a diehard S&W fan but that's one Ruger I'd love to have.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Congratulations on the decision to keep the pistol and the range session. We addicts are always looking for something else but I now have 3 of those Colt GS pistols and I think they are must haves.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Great 1911 and report
Like the Revo's a bunch!

Reactions: Doc45
1 - 6 of 6 Posts