close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Colt in Turmoil!!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Yamil R. Sued, Mar 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yamil R. Sued

Yamil R. Sued The guy with the Camera

Feb 19, 2016

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017...f-custom-shop-director-causing-flurry-rumors/

Other sources -
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...op-director-employees-company-rumored-gutted/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Not good. I love their products.

wcanterbury, Kip and william adams like this.

3. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    With Brent gone, what will happen with the Custom Shop??

I guess my Series 70 M45 Project is now out of the question :(

Terry and william adams like this.
  4. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    Man, that is a GREAT Loss for Colt!! Brent IS a superb guy and I consider him to be a friend!!

5. cookie

cookie Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    That's not good.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Seems normal operation of Colt.......they haven't been able to keep the books in black for many years.

7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  8. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    I have been in contact with Brent this morning, he's doing well, but looking for something better now!!

9. cookie

cookie Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Dangit man I thought they were on the up.

10. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2013
    Eh, I don't feel sorry for them in the least. Their GAF meter doesn't even register for us civilians and they cared too much about their military contracts to really put much effort into their civilian lines. I'd take a SA over a new Colt anyway. Outside of their CQB, though. That one I do want.

11. cookie

cookie Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Their gaf meter had been improving. Slow to races but getting there.

Blue Ridge likes this.
  12. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    Yes, this past year showed a Gigantic improvement!! With the Gold Cup, Cobra and the Commander lines, they were moving in the right direction!!

13. JH225

JH225 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Been talking about it all week on the OOS. Colt is in the crapper for many reasons and I personally don't see them recovering. I would lay odds that they re-file for bankruptcy or just shutter the doors.

The bean counters could give 2 shts about the customers or the employees, it's all about the bottom line and without military contracts, the effects of the election, the economy, etc., they are at the bottom of a very tall totem pole wondering how to get to the top.

william adams and Jollyroger1 like this.
  14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A sad deal indeed.......they have been bailed out more than once.
    Keeping the same old business model for decades is what brought this Goliath down to its knees.

15. cor_man257

cor_man257 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2015
    My thoughts on what colt should have done, or should be doing with regards to the US civilian market. It isn't a hard thing to picture, although no doubt difficult to accomplish.

-Polymer striker fired gun with Compact, Standard, Long models. All available with or without safety. Possibly hammer fired version as well. 9mm, 40, 45. Adjustability. Look to H&K, Glock, M&P for inspiration here.

-1911s. CCO, Commander, Government sizes. 38Super, 9mm, 45ACP, 10mm. Offer all models with standard features consumers would get with the average competition's guns. Beavertails and the like. Offer all in multiple finishes. In addition, offer more basic versions that don't have the improvements. Like stock series 70s and 80s. Keep the Gold Cup around. Look to Springfield Armory for inspiration here.

-Revolvers. Make what people want. The Python, the Cobra. I'm not much of a revolver guy, but they could take a hint from Smith and Wesson or Ruger.

-ARs. Keep doing what you're doing. Except: Sell stripped lowers. May turn to colt to buy lowers for "clone" rifles and those meant to copy the style and look of service rifles. If Colt offered these stripped lowers for sale many would be buying them instead of having lowers custom engraved. Keep the 6920 SOCOM series, Magpul series, and OEM rifles. Offer guns that are actually accurate to past time periods. And then introduce new concepts and components. Look to Daniel Defense or BCM if you need a hint.

Not saying any of that is at all possible. But it is my hopes for the company someday. I really would like to see them remain a household name.

-Cory

16. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2015
    They are just like many companies. Don't care about their employees, don't listen to what the consumer wants, only concerned about how much money they can make as quickly as possible. The only difference is they are a firearm company which peaks our interest.

17. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    Maybe if Colt had got their prices down and there quality up.

When buying 1911s they were not the first company I thought of.
    I always considered them over priced for what you got.
    However I do hate to see that they are in trouble, the company has a long a revered place in American history.

18. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Seems like the way to make money with 1911s is to produce POS guns and back them up with "Great" Customer Service.

The companies that produce crap know most owners shoot 100 rounds and stick the gun in the sock drawer. Their crap guns with annealed pot metal parts will work fine for those owners.

Sad!

19. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Prayers for all the laid off folks. Always tough, especially those providing for a family.

Maybe Ruger should buy the name and the patents.

Cloudsmoker, Blue Ridge and tac45 like this.
  20. william adams

william adams Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Don't agree that the way forward is for Colt to produce yet another stryker fired pistol. All those manufacturers will follow each other to the bottom. Don't have the answers, just hope Colt can survive.
    Especially feel bad for Brent. He is a good guy and man of his word. According to him, he is gone from Colt, hope you land somewhere good Brother. I'm sure you will

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted