Colt Letters, Part Deaux

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by FrankG, Dec 24, 2018.

1. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    In a previous thread, mentioned waiting on the Colt letter(s) ordered back on Aug 31st. Christmas came early via today's mail as both letters arrived. One for my Colt 1903 Hammerless, the other for the .32 Police Positive. The letter for the .32 Police jives up with any on-line research I've done, indicating a date of 1915 (Specifically, being shipped April 8, 1915.
    The letter on the .32 Hammerless has me confused somewhat. All the on-line research on that pistol reflects a manufacture date of 1915, including the On-line look up on Colt's site (https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup) (I realize a manufacture date will not match up with a shipping date)...but the letter shows a shipping date of December 11, 1914!! Pistol had to be made before that ship date... so do I contact Colt and inquire as to the apparent discrepancy between their own website and the letter? Don't get be wrong, glad I ordered and received the letters, just wondering a bit....anyway, the letters are attached.

Merry Christmas to all..be safe... IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5770.JPG

salelcid, WHEELS, wcanterbury and 2 others like this.
  2. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Nice! Simmons Hardware must have given Sears quite a bit of competition back in the day. My Great Grandfathers old double barreled shotgun was a Simmons catalogue buy.

wcanterbury likes this.

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Could it be you have the letters mixed up???? or maybe Colt mixed them up???

Merry Christmas!

4. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
  5. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Great info. Thanks, even has the Ad for the shotgun, Utica brand.

6. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    I don't think so..the serial # on the other letter seems to match up with other research as far as the date goes...I may call Colt just to see what's what!!..

wcanterbury likes this.
  7. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    You just never know about Colt! I have a pistol that was manufactured by Colt in February 1942 for the US Army. Years before I knew it's value I had it turned into a bowling pin gun. The barrel that came out of it was eventually sold for a very reasonable price to zoidmeister who later informed me that the barrel dated from 1915! Go figure that one out. :grin:

8. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The on line serial number sites are sometime off by quite a bit. The letter from Colt will come a lot more likely to being correct than the internet.

The pistols weren't always made or shipped in perfect serial number order.

As to the barrel in a 1942 Colt, not that hard to figure out. It could have been put in at any time after 1942.

wcanterbury likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted