Colt lower with serial #328

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Otter1833, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Otter1833

Otter1833 New Member

Jun 5, 2020
    DSCN0657 (2).JPG DSCN0659 (2).JPG DSCN0660 (2).JPG DSCN0661 (2).JPG I just got a Colt 1911 in an Armslist trade. It has a lower with the serial number of 328....that puts the production date at 1912. The upper is post-1913 and has a "P" stamped just in front of the rear sight. The receiver, trigger and hammer were electoplated golden sometime around 1980.
    What in the world do I have?
    Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020
    WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Something about that pony on the slide looks off to me...

I know the horses have lost weight over time, but this one looks like they fed it to many marshmallows at the factory...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020

3. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    No evidence of Inspector stamp or VP stamp on trigger guard root, also for Colt's that early the serial should be forward on the dust cover on USGI guns, commercial guns would be serialized the opposite side [​IMG][​IMG]

Capthobo, Weiker and Apollo99 like this.
  4. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
  5. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    With that 1911, you have get your teeth grilled, 22" rims and wear your pants around your knees. ...and yes that is one fat horse.

6. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Hope you were able to pay for that one with $3 bills.

Another good example of an altered serial number.

Nothing wrong with the slide marking. Common variety, so no need to fake. If you know much about the 1911A1 you know there were several varieties of the Colt pony. The one shown on the OP's pistol is from late 1944 early 1945. Known as the "Pregnant Pony".

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    M1911info and zChambers like this.
  7. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
  8. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    I just made your pictures full sized. As others have posted, you bought yourself a fake.

Karl Beining likes this.
  9. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    nice. I don't think I've paid attention enough to notice the pregnant pony before.

I still have to say that OP's pony looks *off* to me. Like its more cartoonish compared to factory markings. Maybe its the refinishing effecting things.

10. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    A fake Colt in and of itself is interesting.

11. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    I also think its interesting that someone would put time and effort into making a fake colt, and turn around and sell it as something that people would likely not pay very much for.

The only comparison I can think of is in the vein of Rolex watches. There is an active community of fake watch busters on TRF, and it is not uncommon for "up-and-coming" forgers to submit questions about the authenticity of their new watch to the forum, as a way to identify flaws in their work. The problem became enough of an issue that now if the TRF old guard smell something fishy, they will only identify something as fake or legit, without giving too many details as to why.

Not saying this is the case here, just an anecdotal example.

fallenangelhim likes this.
  12. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Why would anyone go to the trouble to fake a common military slide that wasn't correct, and in fact over 30 years too late for the serial number? Like the rest of the pistol it has been buffed to death, but was an original WWII slide.

M1911info likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted