1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slide marked "Gold Cup, National Match" on the right side. On the left side is marked, "Colts MK IV Series 70, Gold cup National Match, .45 Automatic Caliber. The barrel is stamped, " -Colt .45 auto- , MK IV/Series'70" There is a split Collet bushing with the barrel, I haven't removed the firing pin.
Is the barrel correct? Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sorry, misread your post!!! Not sure about the Ace frame, but if the Ace slide is the same as Colts .22lr conversion slide, it should work. Perhaps someone who has an ace can contribute. The barrel, with the slide, sounds correct. Post pics of slide, bushing, barrel, please.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
A SERVICE MODEL ACE will accept a centerfire upper.
I've done it.
Colt even sold a few (312, I think) .22 to .45 conversions.

An original Ace is a different cat and I doubt it will convert without value destroying modification.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a possibility that my Gold Cup upper was sold with my Service Model ACE. The SM is dated to around 1982 the which is the last production year for the MK IV Series 70 .45 caliber

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
I have a slide marked "Gold Cup, National Match" on the right side. On the left side is marked, "Colts MK IV Series 70, Gold cup National Match, .45 Automatic Caliber. The barrel is stamped, " -Colt .45 auto- , MK IV/Series'70" There is a split Collet bushing with the barrel, I haven't removed the firing pin.
Is the barrel correct? Thanks for your responses.
The bushing is called a collet bushing. Yes it is correct, but a picture would help to make sure.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
Is there a possibility that my Gold Cup upper was sold with my Service Model ACE. The SM is dated to around 1982 the which is the last production year for the MK IV Series 70 .45 caliber
I'd say that isn't possible. Don't know how the slide become disconnected from the original frame, but as far as I am aware they never sold anything mismatched like that especially when it come to their Gold Cup National Match pistol..

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
S
Seems unlikely but never say never especially with Colt.
My SM Ace has a 70B serial number like a .45 and I have seen reports of .45s with SM serial numbers.
A friend worked in a gun store in the Mk IV S70 days and got in a NIB straight from the distributor Colt with Gold Cup upper on a Government Model lower.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
S

My SM Ace has a 70B serial number like a .45 and I have seen reports of .45s with SM serial numbers.
A friend worked in a gun store in the Mk IV S70 days and got in a NIB straight from the distributor Colt with Gold Cup upper on a Government Model lower.
True I knew they did some weird stuff I guess they are known for using up everything in their parts bin, I know I got a couple newer 45 70 series guns for with 80 series parts left overs I'd assume..

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
Actually series 70s are back in production.
S

It actually got worse. In 81 I saw a large number of Gold Cups that were NIB and cyclic. Didn't believe it at first, so I started taking them over to the local indoor range after hours and it was true.

Ended up sending a shipment of the things back to Colt and they replaced the frames, but wouldn't duplicate the SNs, so we had to do new 4473s on all of them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Followup, I cleaned and oil both the ACE and MKIV 70slide. Mounted MK IV slide on the ACE frame, inserted a .45 mag , everything appears to be working. I have two pistols, ACE and the .45.

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
Yes that's a normal Colt Collet bushing. If that's a series 70 Colt, the rear sight pin needs to be watched, they can edge out and the Ellison sights come off. If you're going to shoot the 45acp slide, might consider getting a solid bushing mounted since the collet bushings are known to break on occasion. This is not to alarm you, it's just a heads up if you use it a lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.