close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt No. 305 made in 1912

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Joe C, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Here is one you won't see too often. Rare enough that I thought it deserved it's own thread. Got the chance to see and take this one apart last year as it came into the shop for evaluation prior to being auctioned off by JD Julia Co. Pretty neat to know that you are holding one of the first 500 to ever leave the factory as originals. This one even had the original push button in the mag release instead of the screw we use today... It later sold at auction for nearly $10K in the condition you see here.

Enjoy...

compressed1.jpg compressed2.jpg compressed3.jpg compressed4.jpg compressed5.jpg

2. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Wow if that thing could talk. Thanks for sharing Joe.

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Wow...that's awesome, but even in that condition I would have expected MUCH more than $10k. I mean the Singer's were pretty cool and they only made 500 of them, but no. 1 went for over $100k!! So what makes an original so "cheap?" I would absolutely LOVE to have that and I would shoot the heck out of it.

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Wow that is cool. Thanks for sharing.

5. Gunshine

Gunshine New Member

Aug 29, 2011
  6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Very cool! That's great that you had the opportunity to take it apart and really get a feel for it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they were first built compared to what we've learned over the years. I've heard you're a stickler for properly-built guns that are meant for longevity. :thumb:

Andy

7. Lama

Lama Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks for sharing with us, awesome thread.

8. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Simply awesome...

9. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Excellent!

Thanks for sharing,old Colt's are works of art.:thumb:

DAT85

11. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    So what kind of condition was it in? Internally? Impressions of the internals? Was it serviceable?

12. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Well, it was in pretty good shape considering it was nearly 100 years old. At some point in time a moron of some type had decided to put a file mark on the barrel under the slide area but it didn't affect the function at all. The man who owned it had bee shooting it from time to time up until about 3 years ago. Trigger felt good all things considered.

The parts, well, one has to remember that back then many of the parts were crafted by hand. You could clearly see the file marks on the internals where a guy had MADE the disconnector. Of course there were no cast or MIM parts...all hard steel...filed by hand or made on old time mills and lathes...the men who built those guns were what is called a craftsman...not many exist any more in that fashion...

Somewhere I have more pics of it...when I can find them I'll post them for you all since you enjoy it so much. Might also add that currently in the shop I have another 1912 colt here for work. I'll start a thread on it when a chance is available and some pics have been taken. It's number is under 4000...so it is an original as well... ;)

13. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    ^ That's neat stuff to know, thanks for sharing ^

14. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
  15. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Geez, who would pay $10k for that? You can buy 20 Glocks for that kind of money.:tongue:

16. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    After shooting at the range tonight, I browsed the guns for sale. There were 3 "old" 1911's. One was from 1912, #16,408. It had been to AA (Augusta Armory) so I was told and it had RIA stamped on it. It was $2100. Then there was a Remington Rand. Not much there but only $1200. Then the last was a 1917 Colt #188xxx. Original condition, grips, etc. The condition was not mint but I was in awe of the patina and condition after almost 100 years. It is $1800. I'm not up on "value" or prices on these old Colts. I almost bought a used STI Sentinel Premier today for $1600. The STI is no 1917 Colt and this Colt is calling my name every couple of minutes. Any suggestions?

tw

17. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Well grainfed, reckon it just all depends on what you want to do with the pistol. Also, a person has to be very careful about buying "original" colts unless you have seen a few personally or know the person selling personally. There are a lot of mismatch guns out there now days. The value of these guns has come down a lot over the past year or two, however, the original ones still bring a mint. I know where Serial No. 1 of the Remington Rands is right now and it is about to go up for auction. It will probably only sell for $5-8K which, considering it's condition and all (nearly mint) is really amazing.

On the other hand, the same auction has a number of mint RR's, Ithica's, Colts (including a lend lease) that will go for less than $2k that are all is excellent condition which is just really astounding. Matter of fact, there is a 1913 that will go for about that much in about 60-70% condition...wow...

The $1800.00 doesn't seem bad, but again, depending on what you want to do with it and what condition you REALLY want, you might be able to do better.

18. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Joe, thanks for the tips. I might be able to take some photos of this one and post them for inspection. The owner is always high on every gun he has in stock and rarely comes down to earth from list price on new guns. More later.....

tw

19. Motor City 1911

Motor City 1911 Gun Addict

Sep 15, 2011
    Thank you!

Excellent pics. I've never even seen a 1911 that old. Let alone had it in my hands.
    A beautiful piece of American history!

20. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    The USGI section on TOOS is where'd I'd go for unbiased opinions on a vintage gun. Not that folks here can't, but...loads of knowledge there at TOOS/USGI.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted