Colt price check help

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Chris, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Long story short, a family friend is selling off some of his collection. In email conversations, he told me that he has two MK IV series 70 Government models chambered in 9mm luger. Not rare, but I do not see them for sale that often. I have no pictures and was told to make an offer when I see them if I was still interested. He did mention that they were both LNIB with original box and paperwork.

So.... back to my original question; what would be a fair value if the condition above is correct? I know there are some Colt fans here and wanted to get some thoughts since I plan on checking them out later this week. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011

As the internet being a price setter,my suggestion would be to do a search of the "auction sites" to see a history of what they are bringing.
    Selling on the 'net will generally get you more bucks than trying to sell on consignment at a LGS.

Pricing at one time used to kind of go with what region you were trying to sell in.

Not so much anymore.

DAT85

3. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I would say about $1,800 for the pair top end..

4. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I have done some digging online, but saw some variety on price over a few year time period. I also didn't like that some people claimed that this is a rare pistol, so I was not sure about some of the prices being asked.

Thanks. I am only looking to pick up one of them and that gives an idea of a price to offer when I see them depending on condition. Since he is a friend of my father, I want to help him out and not offer less than a fair price, but do not want to overpay as well.

5. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Buying both, even if you just wanted one, would be worth doing. They would make good bases for a semi custom build if you ever wanted to do so.

6. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    About $1200 each if LNIB with boxes and paperwork.

7. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I agree with the esteemed Colt expert above me.

8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    That's about what I'd expect to sell them for.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>
    >
    IF you were holding a gun to my head!:biggrin1:

Bob

9. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I just can't see spending over 1k for a bone stock production Colt. Especially when I have seen the http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSpecialCombatGovernment.aspx going for $1,600. The fact that it is a 9mm makes it a little more difficult to find I agree, but it still dont make em worth over $900 a pistol to me

10. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    My $0.02- the guns would be worth $800-$900 each. BUT, these are one of those pistols, that if one wanted, could probably get more than that for them on Gunbroker, because many folks out there would let their emotions talk them into paying more than that for them. I have nothing against Colt pistols, it just is what it is. If your "friend" really is a friend he would be aware of this.

What would I do, explain this to him, and offer what I would offer for one, let him list the other "and see" if he gets more. This way no one feels they lost.

Good luck, and let us know if you acquire one and post pics.

11. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    If you want price checks it is easy enough to get online and look around. Personally, I wouldn't give more than about $800.00 each for what you are describing...but that's just me and I see a lot of guns like that on the internet. Not that it is really a comparison per say but here is one for sale that you don't see every day and the price on it is a bit high to me personally:

http://fugatefirearms.com/shop/product.php?xProd=5520&xSec=33

You can search on gunbroker to see what things are selling for or what they have sold for also.

But then this info is coming from a guy that bought a set of authentic Colt Medallion Ivory grips for a 1911 from a friend for less than $200.00 (of course neither he or I knew what they were worth at the time...)

12. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011

That one is way high unless it's a transitional 70 Series, then it's still a little high.

A LNIB 70 Series with box and paperwork is easily worth 1K, $1200 is a fairly conservative for the gun in 9mm.

13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    With the current decrease in our dollars purchasing power what does actual "worth" have to do with current pricing? I sell TIRES for pushing $200. that less than 36 months ago were very little over $100.!

Bob

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted