Colt S80 Firing Pin Safety removal

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by simonp, May 23, 2019.

1. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Curious, for anyone who has done it that is, how tough is it to remove the S80 firing pin safety and install a tab / cover over the hole to convert it to a S70? Would it affect the trigger or anything else on the gun, not a stock gun, Rogers commander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Removing the firing pin safety isn't hard at all. Just push the firing pin in enough and it will come out. As far as covering the hole, I just left mine open. Doesn't hurt anything. I got the shim to replace the frame parts from Brownell's and it goes right in. No problems. Replaced mine on a Colt Combat Elite because I could feel the parts moving and didn't like the trigger pull with the series 80 parts installed. My Combat Commander, on the other hand, is no problem so I left the parts intact.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Simple operation.

Do use the filler shim in the frame after removing “safety” bits.
    From memory they come in three different thicknesses.
    I use the one that fills void fully and usually needs to be stoned down a bit for free hammer movement.

I always replace hammer (with 70 series having the half cock notch, instead of using 80 series with the shelf) and sear.

This is likely overkill, but it gives me added peace of mind and a better trigger.

simonp likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Honestly, if it’s a gun Chuck has worked on, I doubt removing the firing pin safety will improve anything. Leave it be and shoot the piss outta it

simonp, JD31, SparkyAZ and 2 others like this.
  5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Yep I have guns from Lou that are is as good as any 70 series in the world.

JD31, cgff, Bender and 1 other person like this.
  6. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    I remove the S80 on every gun I own. I use the TJ filler plate and rock on. Always removes 6-8 ounces off the trigger and gives a better reset and cleaner pretravel.

Anyone who claims they can't feel the difference simply can't feel it. It is different...

7. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    It’s more the annoyance when cleaning the gun than the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

limbkiller likes this.
  8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

I can understand that, makes perfect sense. If you must, take Gaijin’s advice

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted