1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Be warned pictures not for the faint of heart!

Fellow addicts & esteemed Smiths attached are some photos of a colt LW Commander that I picked up in trading, got it very reasonably, the pistol shoots ok and runs well, as it is.
As you can see It has an abomination of a rear sight with a monster cut.
Dimensions on the diagram were taken using a pair of calipers. This pistol carries really nice & for a LW frame is sort of soft shooting.
Looking for thoughts or ideas?
Thank you

Initially when I first shot it the slide migrated left through the first 200 rounds, added some red locktite and it has stayed in place.

Wood Grey Hardwood Rectangle
Office equipment

Text Photograph White Handwriting Line

Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Be warned pictures not for the faint of heart!

Fellow addicts & esteemed Smiths attached are some photos of a colt LW Commander that I picked up in trading, got it very reasonably, the pistol shoots ok and runs well, as it is.
As you can see It has an abomination of a rear sight with a monster cut.
Dimensions on the diagram were taken using a pair of calipers. This pistol carries really nice & for a LW frame is sort of soft shooting.
Looking for thoughts or ideas?
Thank you

Initially when I first shot it the slide migrated left through the first 200 rounds, added some red locktite and it ha stayed in place.

View attachment 369583 View attachment 369585
View attachment 369587
View attachment 369597
cgff:

IMO, your Colt is an excellent candidate for the NoMar Conversion!

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/introducing-the-nomar-rear-sight.72805/#post-1134437

I've had 2 pistols converted, and have been totally satisfied with both!

Went from this:
Space Material property Silver Aerospace manufacturer Aerospace engineering

To this:
Office equipment Grey

HTHs!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
All great info again thank you
please keep the info coming,
I’ve placed a WTB in the classifieds for a slide, and am watching a few internet sights also. I have been carrying it and shooting it. (Usually a mag or 2 before work) Finding a nice slide opens another can of worms as slide fitment/barrel fitment etc, etc.

Ideally something robust in the form of sights? then comes the barrel & bushing fitting, new internals, Flat trigger and maybe a low lever safety, Accu rails?

An addicts rabbit hole.

Something on the lines of that NOMAR would prove interesting and workable.

With all of this I have grown quite fond of this pistol. Worst part of all this is seeing that huge cut and I say to myself what was that jack wad/jack leg thinking (dumbass) when they butchered such a sweet pistol. I’m sure the professionals on here see a lot worse. Rant over.

·
Premium Member
8,135 Posts
I am Totally surprised that @tac45 hasn't chimed in with his offer to sell you some "Sight Shock Dampening" product..... Simply apply a thin layer between sight and slide to end harmonic vibrations.

Logo Beige Tobacco products Brand Label

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
  • Can't believe someone ruined that slide cutting that deep in to the serrations, what a shame! Just wondering what was going through someone's head when they cut that deep into that slide. Time for a red Dot sight, if that will even cover it up.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • Can't believe someone ruined that slide cutting that deep in to the serrations, what a shame! Just wondering what was going through someone's head when they cut that deep into that slide. Time for a red Dot sight, if that will even cover it up.
Thank you, But I don’t think I’m ready for a optic on a 1911 yet.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Yes and yes. Shoots ok, and runs well carries great.
For a carry gun I'm in the ain't broke don't fix! camp.
Peen the dovetail or buy an oversize sight. Kensight used to sell them if you made a phone call to them. They made a Bomar style for cuts that got to large etc.
FWIW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.