1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FFL sent me this ad, saying there was a big sale on them until Christmas. How are the quality on these? Does anyone have one? When I look up the model number, all the information I can find shows a gun without checkering, but this picture clearly shows it has checkering. Retail is 2100 and he can get it significantly cheAper than that for me. I want it to replace my Professional (also my carry gun) as my IDPA gun until my name is called for my Reid build. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Line Trigger Font Gun accessory Parallel

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
They are well made guns and good shooters. Reason I don’t own one is because there is no front strap checkering and the bomar sight hangs off the slide which drives me nuts. I have never seen that particular model checkered before, only some limited blued ones with single checkering and Novak’s and if i find one I’ll buy it. If this one has checkering, the bomar hanging off doesn’t bother you and the price is good as you say it is, I would go for it

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I have the blued carry model which has night sites instead of the adjustable. They are custom shop guns and mine is a fabulous shooter and has a silky smooth slide. I’ve had mine about twelve years and still love it. I get a big grin every time I shoot it. I would not mind having another in 38 Super.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’m admittedly a little ignorant as far as colt “custom” shop goes. Wasn’t sure if it was just a name like Kimber or they actually got some more lovin than the other guns. I’ll keep doing some research and likely have him order it Monday for me.

same to you SteveO

·
Registered
764 Posts
Gun Blade Knife Iron Revolver
I have a Series 80 SCG built in 2018, a Custom Competition Limited Series 70, and a SCG Series 80 railed Commander. All came from Colt with front strap checkering.

They hang with my bro in law's Wilsons. Superb shooters.

Here's the Custom Comp. No overhang on the rear sight due to no S80 parts. Nicely fit and finished, shoots lights out.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
All of the SCGs are checkered since late 2016 when colt started doing their on checkering.

They have colts royal blue polish on them. The fit on them is superb. The smith and Alexander magwells are fully blended. Each gun is built and numbered by a single smith. The barrels are custom fit. The bushings are not. They used to do hard chrome but last I checked the 2 tones are ionbond and blue and the solid "white" ones are ionbond. They come with a target. I at one time owned 7 of them, one shy of a full set, stumbled on several cheap ones in summer 2017. Still have my carry model. They are amazingly good production guns.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Very good information on the new checkering and finish, thank you @Yoemen66. I haven’t seen or fired one in awhile. I would be interested to see that white ionbond in person. I personally am a fan of the old two tones but the sights and front strap killed it for me. I do want to find one of those older blues ones with fixed sights and Pete single checkering one of these days...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have 2, an older blued 45 Carry model with no front strap checkering and a newer chrome 38 super Competition model with checkering. I really like both. Only difference I can tell between the Carry and Competition is the sights. Trigger pull on my 38 is a little heavier, guessing maybe 4.5 or so. Both are fitted well, reliable, and accurate. I put Chen SI magwells on both because I like the round butt.

Gun Firearm Trigger White Line

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Recently saw a newer production used one at the LGS and lock-up and trigger were no where as good as the one I own and definitely not worth the proud price tag. I was a bit disappointed. It was used, so you never know if someone messed with it or just may have been put together on Friday.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Bottom line up front: Buy it.

Longer version…

Colt’s Custom Shop is legitimate, with highly talented ‘smiths. The Special Combat Government represents Colt’s best — or did — the Custom Competition Limited has that distinction now that the SCGs are discontinued (which is another reason to get one, and that Colt’s remaining supply seems to have been dumped on the market in the last year at reduced prices).

The SCGs are noticeably better in overall fit and finish compared to production Colts. Of note, the dehorning, trigger tuning, beavertail and thumb safety all show extra attention to detail — not to a semi-custom level in every nook-and-cranny, but near, and in the most important practical respects vis-a-vis actually shooting the gun comfortably, reliably and accurately.

You still get typically looser Colt slide-to-frame fit; some folks jut can’t live with that, which is fine, but given the gunsmith fit barrel the SCG ships with, it’s tight where it needs to be and the accuracy’s there.

The trigger on mine is excellent, and stands with any of the semi-customs I’ve owned or handled, despite being Series 80. My example has very brief pre-travel, a “soft” wall then rolling “carrot” break, and reminds me of the Baers ad Browns I’ve sampled, versus the GIs and Wilsons which have slightly more pre-travel, a more defined wall and crisp “glass rod” break in my experience.

The checkering is 25LPI done in-house on Colt’s new(ish) dedicated machine. It’s excellent, as is the (also new-ish) high cut, which I’m a fan of (I think only Alchemy offers one higher).

Yoeman66 gave some excellent background, to which I’ll add one update: the magwell is no longer a Smith and Alexander. It’s still blended nicely, and I’m not certain of the make but believe it might be EGW's two piece — it looks like it (you can see an example in BR549er’s post #14), and mine has just a touch of play that I’d prefer it didn’t. Doesn’t affect function, but I would have preferred the S&A.

Only thing approaching a complaint for me is the ambi-thumb safety; no slop like many production Colts, thankfully, but is light enough that I’ve engaged it under fire a few times. I’ve seen this complaint from other owners and think it might be the gun not the shooter (I’ve never had this happen before), and it might need a touch of tuning, or I just need a different part fitted.

Long post, but had a few things I’ve wanted to get out there on the forum as SCGs do get talked about.

I’ll close with a copy-and-paste Dave at EvolutionArmory — who used to build SCGs for Colt — posted here a while back that sheds a little more light into why these are worth grabbing, especially if you like the pony or want arguably the best all-around 1911 you can get at the current price-point:

EvolutionArmory wrote:

The 2 biggest features of the gun are the gunsmith fit version of Colt's drop in NM barrel and the trigger work that is done to the pistol. The barrel is a true national barrel and they are capable of some great groups. Other things that are done to the pistol that is worth mentioning is that the grip safety is blended to the frame by the polishers when they are doing the national match grade polish to the frames and slides and that the mag funnels are blended slightly. Not a full blend like a custom smith would do but the edges are broken so the mag won't hang up.

The bushing is the same bushing used on the assembly line and is a pretty darn good part. The bushings are a little looser than I like but the groups the guns shoot speak for themselves. The guns need to shoot an inch group or smaller before they can leave the shop. With the occasional flier allowed for human error. There's no written guarantee like a Baer, it's just the level of quality the custom shop is looking for.

I hope that answers some questions. I had the privilege of being responsible for 40-50 of them a month as a CCS employee for a couple years. They are a great gun for the dough. They do no frame to slide fitting but again, the test targets speak for themselves. How loose they are and how great they shoot make me question everything I had learned about what makes a super accurate gun

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
One other thing, if you get a gun with wood grips, either black or brown that would be pre 2012 production I believe. Also, the 2 tone guns prior to the grip change are nickel and blue.
Yes to this -- and, too, you (OP) might want to check with your FFL to confirm it's a SCG with front strap checkering (if you want that), just in case it turns out to be new-old-stock without the checkering (they're out there).

Also, speaking of the previous versus current SCG finishes -- thumbs up on stainless Ion Bond; the metal isn't high polished like earlier SCGs, but the Ion Bond yields a very attractive satiny-/matte silver like a good stainless steel bead blast, and it's proving to be durable and low-maintenance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.