1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have experience with the full size Wiley Clapp offering from Colt? thinking about throwing an ambi safety on one of these and working it into my carry rotation. Any and all advice is welcome (and yes I am very familiar with other manufacturers offerings, I just like THIS pistol!)

Thanks!
Rapid68

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought one for my father a few years back. Only thing I didn’t care for was the retro thumb safety. Other than that, it’s a fantastic pistol, great fit and finish, accurate and reliable.
On a side note, although a bit expensive, I really like the ambi EGW safety. It may not suit you for carry though as they are wide paddle, but very well made and you don’t need to replace the grips with ambi cut grips.

·
born in the wrong century
8,959 Posts
Had one.

Accuracy wasn't what I'd hoped for. Not horrible, but not on par with an equivalent-priced TRP that I've hung onto because it just checked more boxes.....outa the box.

Didn't care for the brass bead front sight. It simply didn't show up as I'd hoped.

Didn't care for the thumb safety.

Gun was finished nicely....good blueing.

Frontstrap checkering was very nice.

Grips were okay.

BTGS was fine.

Trigger was to my liking in terms of type, feel & break.

I see them selling now for $1,150-ish+. Not a bad deal for what you get.....especially if you had plans for further customizations......

Reactions: Rapid68

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,793 Posts
I like mine, however I made it more "mine" with the addition of an arched/checkered mainspring housing, Woodcaliber grips and a Wilson Bulletproof safety. Eats anything I feed it, and is as accurate as a carry pistol needs to be. So far about 22,000 rounds through and was my daily carry from Nov of '13 until I decided to celebrate the election of DJT and bought a vintage 2000 Baer TRS in Dec '16.
Gun Brown Firearm White Trigger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had one.

Accuracy wasn't what I'd hoped for. Not horrible, but not on par with an equivalent-priced TRP that I've hung onto because it just checked more boxes.....outa the box.

Didn't care for the brass bead front sight. It simply didn't show up as I'd hoped.

Didn't care for the thumb safety.

Gun was finished nicely....good blueing.

Frontstrap checkering was very nice.

Grips were okay.

BTGS was fine.

Trigger was to my liking in terms of type, feel & break.

I see them selling now for $1,150-ish+. Not a bad deal for what you get.....especially if you had plans for further customizations......
When you say accuracy wasn't what you hoped for... can you enlighten me a little? I currently rotate my CZ po1 and po7, both of which are cajunized and good for 1" groups at 7 yards, this for me is more than adequate for a duty pistol. I do plan on customizing it lightly, specifically an ambidextrous safety, and full diamond grips. appreciate the input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like mine, however I made it more "mine" with the addition of an arched/checkered mainspring housing, Woodcaliber grips and a Wilson Bulletproof safety. Eats anything I feed it, and is as accurate as a carry pistol needs to be. So far about 22,000 rounds through and was my daily carry from Nov of '13 until I decided to celebrate the election of DJT and bought a vintage 2000 Baer TRS. View attachment 370305
Great info! I get the impression you go out and shoot as much as i wish i could!

·
born in the wrong century
8,959 Posts
When you say accuracy wasn't what you hoped for... can you enlighten me a little? I currently rotate my CZ po1 and po7, both of which are cajunized and good for 1" groups at 7 yards, this for me is more than adequate for a duty pistol. I do plan on customizing it lightly, specifically an ambidextrous safety, and full diamond grips. appreciate the input!

Understand....this is a sample size of ONE. Other folks love the model. I simply wasn't one of them that was overly enthused. A good opportunity arose for me to sell it to a buddy and not take much loss.

Best I can do for accuracy comparison is to show the gun on a range session with 2 other guns.

Several range sessions into shooting the new Wiley Clapp I took it on a range session where I was running a LB CC Commanche on it's first session.

LB CC was unfamiliar and and balanced differently. Big difference in accuracy. At the time, both guns were bought new....the LB was $400 more than the Wiley Clapp. Not sure what current pricing is.

Best I ever shot the Wiley was on that session.

By comparison....running the LB CCC with the same 200gr lswc & 230gr AE ball:

For crazy comparison.....same session, same distance....a G19.

The Wiley Clapp wasn't a bad gun.....but for what I wanted it needed some additional $$$ spent on it for sights & thumb safety.

There was significant play in the slide-to-frame fit, but everything felt tight at lock up. Zero feed or function issues from the gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.