1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Colt Wiley Clapp Govt.

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SAultrasolo 
#1 ·
Anyone on here have experience with the full size Wiley Clapp offering from Colt? thinking about throwing an ambi safety on one of these and working it into my carry rotation. Any and all advice is welcome (and yes I am very familiar with other manufacturers offerings, I just like THIS pistol!)

Thanks!
Rapid68

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Had one.

Accuracy wasn't what I'd hoped for. Not horrible, but not on par with an equivalent-priced TRP that I've hung onto because it just checked more boxes.....outa the box.

Didn't care for the brass bead front sight. It simply didn't show up as I'd hoped.

Didn't care for the thumb safety.

Gun was finished nicely....good blueing.

Frontstrap checkering was very nice.

Grips were okay.

BTGS was fine.

Trigger was to my liking in terms of type, feel & break.

I see them selling now for $1,150-ish+. Not a bad deal for what you get.....especially if you had plans for further customizations......
When you say accuracy wasn't what you hoped for... can you enlighten me a little? I currently rotate my CZ po1 and po7, both of which are cajunized and good for 1" groups at 7 yards, this for me is more than adequate for a duty pistol. I do plan on customizing it lightly, specifically an ambidextrous safety, and full diamond grips. appreciate the input!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I like mine, however I made it more "mine" with the addition of an arched/checkered mainspring housing, Woodcaliber grips and a Wilson Bulletproof safety. Eats anything I feed it, and is as accurate as a carry pistol needs to be. So far about 22,000 rounds through and was my daily carry from Nov of '13 until I decided to celebrate the election of DJT and bought a vintage 2000 Baer TRS. View attachment 370305
Great info! I get the impression you go out and shoot as much as i wish i could!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.