1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
+1 for Steve Owens

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
The best...
Jason Burton
Ted Yost
Greg Derr
I don't own any of their guns. I'm not that patient and I'm not willing to spend that much on one gun but their work is incredible.

I've owned a lot of comparatively affordable custom guns and, of the shops that built them two of the best are David Clevinger and the Colt Custom Shop. I wouldn't hesitate to use either again.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,734 Posts
I don't have the years in the business as those mentioned above but, am more than capable of building a nice accurate reliable older 70s colt. No problem at all. And plenty of references if needed. I do still have a spot or two available currently. Reach out or give me a call if you like 419-305-4121

I'll PM you a few pics.. of recently done projects. as well as give you my website info..

·
6,592 Posts
@WC145 what’s the Colt CS turn around time?
Not sure about current turn around times but my understanding is that since there was a management change a couple of years ago wait times have been shorter than they used to. I'm sure that if you gave them a call with an idea of the work your interested in they could give you an idea of how long it would take.

Reactions: Mtek

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,734 Posts
I am not needy for work, but aggressive enough to go after it. I guess there might come a point when I'm no longer as hungry for work but, that might be like $5,000 a gun away yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Who are some of the best to have an older 70 series colt completely done over?
It’s depends what do you want done to your Colt 1911 and what’s your budget, willing to pay $3,000 to $10,000 completely done over?

I’m able to work on your Colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,592 Posts
I don't have the years in the business as those mentioned above but, am more than capable of building a nice accurate reliable older 70s colt. No problem at all. And plenty of references if needed. I do still have a spot or two available currently. Reach out or give me a call if you like 419-305-4121

I'll PM you a few pics.. of recently done projects. as well as give you my website info..
Don't take the fact that I didn't list your name as an insult. The OP asked for the names of some of the best 'smiths to work on an older Colt. Burton, Yost, and Derr are about the best out there for a gun like that and I think that plenty of folks would agree. I could add John Harrison and Jim Garthwaite to that list, as well.

Most of my guns were built by 'smiths that are dead or no longer working on 1911s but I can personally vouch for the work of John Harrison, David Clevinger, and the CCS.

·
6,592 Posts
I guess I should clarify older. 1982. That’s my birth year. So not exactly old old but older than current production.
What kind of work are you wanting done?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,734 Posts
Don't take the fact that I didn't list your name as an insult. The OP asked for the names of some of the best 'smiths to work on an older Colt. Burton, Yost, and Derr are about the best out there for a gun like that and I think that plenty of folks would agree. I could add John Harrison and Jim Garthwaite to that list, as well.

Most of my guns were built by 'smiths that are dead or no longer working on 1911s but I can personally vouch for the work of John Harrison, David Clevinger, and the CCS.
I didn't take it as an insult, and very much agree those are all great smiths and have put in their time to get there. I'm definitely low man on that totem pole lol..

Was just pretty much clarifying for the OP That I could work him in and I know some wait times exceed mine by a pretty good margin as well. And was just soliciting work

·
الواحد
806 Posts
OP,

As most have posted there’s a lot of questions here. First thing you need is a plan of exactly what you want. The possibilities are endless when it come to what can be done.

If just want to “refurbish” and bring the old girl back to life.

Semi Custom where you keep some factory parts but up grade some other and add some performance abilities as well as looks.

Full build where everything but the slide and receiver is tossed and the whole aftermarket is expertly fitted into a fine work of combat art.

Integrity Arms will always be my first call. Along with @pistolwretch Rogers Precision. There are a lot of other great companies to work with out there. These two are my top picks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts