Combat Shooting And Tactics: Advanced Individual Tactics

Discussion in 'Training' started by Sterling Archer, Nov 4, 2016.

Which pistol to shoot?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2016.
  1. Walther PPQ M2 Navy

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Wilson/Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    This month I'm heading to CSAT (Combat Shooting And Tactics) for their Advanced Individual Tactics (AIT) course. For those who aren't familiar with CSAT it's owned and operated by the venerable Paul Howe. For those who aren't familiar with Mr Howe he's former Delta Force and was part of the Black Hawk Down battle.

Per his website the description for AIT is:
    The skills listed below will be covered during AIT both in light/no light environments.

Safety Exterior Contact
    Combat Mindset Single Hallway CQB
    Basic Live Fire Review Single CQB/T Intersections
    Range Fire Medical
    Barricade Work
    Live Fire Culmination Scenarios
    Vehicle Bailouts
    Low Light all of the above

This course will focus on the safely resolving active shooter problems wherever they are encountered to include a safe link up with police. Course material will be applicable to civilians, teachers and police.

EQUIPMENT NEEDED: Concealment Bag or holster, pistol, eye and ear protection. A
    hand held light is required, weapon lights are optional. Bring extra batteries and train how you intend to fight. Bring inclement weather gear as required. Students will deploy weapon from concealed carry or Active Shooter bag during all scenarios and range fire.
    Ammunition

Pistol Ball (or duty) 600 rds

I'm obviously quite excited for 3 days of nothing but learning from some of the best. My dilemma is which pistol to shoot. Both have lights so that's equal but the PPQ has a threaded barrel so that ups my 'I'm a badass operator' factor. :laugh: But really though, each has its advantages and since I don't have a 1911 in 9mm these are my top choices. What says the brain trust?

20161104_205842-1.jpg

This will be my main thread for the class, the 'after action report' and any video I put together.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  2. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    You will love this course. It's unlike anything else out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cor_man257

cor_man257 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2015
    The real question, is which do you carry?

If this class is geared more toward "Super operator **** goes down" type of thing, what would you grab then? Or for home defense?

If it's just for funsies my vote goes to the Beretta really. Cause i recently got to hold a WC92 and waa floored with it. And because I love Beretta.

I'm waiting to vote until I know whats most likely to relate to the material.

-Cory

Sterling Archer likes this.
  4. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    SA, sounds like a great class. I'm anxious for you! I agree with Cory, run the Beretta...let us know please!

5. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    I carry both and I've asked myself which I would want to have on me should I need it but it's a toss-up. Both can shoot 1.5" or less groups at 25 yards so accuracy is moot. The PPQ has the advantage of the consistent trigger pull whereas the double action first shot of the Beretta could be more challenging. Especially with a lot of the class being shoot one-handed since I'll have a flashlight in my support hand.

I'm heading to the range tomorrow with both for a little testing. I figured I'll warm up with the Beretta and run the CSAT Standards one-handed and then do the same with the PPQ. I'm curious how I'll end up scoring.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  6. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    For no definable reason I would go for the Beretta. But which comes to your hand and on target the best has to be your choice. I don't think either one would be a bad choice.

aldodds3 and Sterling Archer like this.
  7. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    If these are your two best carry guns, take them both. You could experience a failure. Or you may just want to learn the finite details of how you shoot both guns in a real world scenario.

I love 1911's. I also love just about any gun of any persuasion. No real brand loyalty here. I think if you own it you should practice with it and try and get as good as your best shooter with them all. Just my opinion.

salelcid, Bro. Pappaw, Kip and 2 others like this.
  8. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Absolutely. Both are going, along with spare springs. This is my first out of town class so it stands to reason this is when my chosen pistol would crash hard. :laugh:

9. Dons1911

Nov 6, 2014
    That's a great point Raylan. I have often thought of switching pistols in a class to get the experience of both pistols, but I never have. For my most recent class, a two day, out of towner, I took three 1911's and two supplies of ammo. Fortunately my primary items ran flawlessly, but nothing wrong with being prepared!

SA, I hope you make it to the range today for your self induced pre-test. I'm anxious to hear how that goes!

10. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Walther PPQ just because of the trigger...

11. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Once I get my fat ass back in shape I want to take his 3 day 'Close Quarters Tactics - Pistol/Hand/Knife' class. Actually, being able to take that class is one of my biggest motivators for hitting the gym again.

Here's the class description-
    This class instructs students in three disciplines, pistol/hands/knife over three days. Close quarter pistol will be taught on day 1 along with empty hand techniques/stand up fighting on day one. Ground fighting will be covered on day 2 with more live fire pistol. Knife will be added in on day 3. The course will address the following major topics:

Safety
    Pistol/Knife set up
    Close Quarter Shooting-Arm length to contact
    Strikes/Blocks
    Knife concealment/Knife deployment
    Stand up fighting
    Ground fighting/escapes

This course will focus on simple and effective techniques that can be practiced in the future and integrated into a student’s personal training regimen. Students should have 16 hours of basic handgun training before attending this course.

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
    Good physical shape

EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
    Pistol Ball 300 rounds
    Training Knife
    Training Gun
    Eye/ear protection
    Cup-Recommended
    Towel
    Flashlight

With the content of AIT and CQT a person should be pretty well equipped to handle themselves in most situations, I'd think. With practice of course, just completing the class doesn't in itself mean anything if you don't do anything with it.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  12. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    I haven't taken that course yet, but - being CSAT - you know it will be simple yet effective.

There are too many personal defense courses that are too complicated, or so "martial artsy" it would take the average guy years to master it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    That's my thinking. I don't want to learn a specific discipline (i.e jiu-jitsu, karate) instead I want what will actually save my bacon in a street scuffle.

Bro. Pappaw and Avenger1 like this.
  14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    If you don't have the double action/single action down I would go with the consistent trigger pull of the PPQ Navy! I have one also and it's a great accurate gun!

15. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    Sounds similar to Craig Douglas ECQC. I would really like to take that course. Perhaps taking both would create a well rounded picture of FUT.

-Cory

16. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    I blew my plans. I'm in the process of moving which was supposed to happen Friday but had to be rescheduled to Sunday. I forgot I had already packed my ammo so when I went to load up this morning I was sorely disappointed. I'll make it to the range here in the next few days.

17. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    Dang, that sucks.

Gokd luck with the move, and you'll be able to get to that course (or a similar one) soon.

-Cory

18. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks! He only has two CQT classes scheduled this year with the second one being late March. Writing about it today got me all worked up so I'm considering scheduling it. 4 months would give me enough time to get my cardio back up and drop 30-40 pounds.

zipper046, cor_man257 and Dons1911 like this.
  19. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    Im struggling with my cardio. Colder air is rough on the lungs, and my times show it. I dont have weight loss goals, but cant maintain consistant times right now.

Extra time also gives you a chance to research his material more. More knowledge headed in means more you can pick up at the class.

-Cory

20. Dons1911

Nov 6, 2014
    Archer, what's the status? Did you get the move handled? Hope it went well! Did you make a decision for which pistol to use?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted