Coming Home From The Range

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Just Terry, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    This happened to my friend and myself in the summer of 1974. My friend,Mike and I had finished an afternoon of shooting at a pistol range,and were loading up his car for the drive home. He had a S&W Model 28,357 Magnum,in a Bianchi holster. Now,Magnum Smiths were rare as hen`s teeth at that time,and,as he was still in high school,money was few and far between for him. Anyway,as we were loading up his Pinto,he placed the 357 on the roof till he put the ammo,etc,into the car. That was the last time he saw that Smith. I dont remember when we realized the gun was missing,but we went back there several times looking the shoulder of the road for it ( it was a back road). Never found it. Thanks for listening

2. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    That is a huge bummer. Ouch.

I lost a wallet the same way one time.

Just Terry likes this.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I lost my DOPE book that way- which represented about 6 months of load work up/chrono results for several rifle cartridges.
    I looked carefully in the roadside ditches for 2 hrs. Nothing.

Just Terry and BennyAdeline like this.
  4. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    My brother lost a Ruger Single Six playing quick draw.
    In one motion, drew it and tossed it into a big muddy creek, never found it.

xerts1191 likes this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    That sucks.

If I have to set something down, I usually try to set it down on the hood of my car. At least then I'll see it before I drive away.

6. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    A near miss was a rattle can camo 300 Blk; I grabbed some toilight paper, leaned the AR against a tree to answer nature’s call and walked away to a more sheltered area to attend to business.
    The camo was effective, it took a bit to locate the AR again.
    :)

Just Terry and PewPewPtwang like this.
  7. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    That’s rough! Someone eventually found a keeper, I suspect.

These days, if I found a gun on the side of the road my first thought would may have been used in a crime and ditched. I’d either want nothing to do with it to I’d call the police to pick it up. Back then, I may have see things differently.

ccssid, gaijin and Just Terry like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted