1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to respring a SPR Commanche, anyone know what the standard ships with recoil spring weight is? And recoil spring plug, the parts list just has 2 listings for the plug and they are the exact same verbage/description. Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Google, man, google.
Alchemy says "Les sends them out with a 21 lb."
Or you could treat it like a Commander and use an 18.
Be sure to check for the spring going "solid", a Commanche is not really a Commander.
The plug is probably the same as a Commander.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baer doesn't list a commander plug. Just a "standard" plug,,,from the website "Baer 1911 Recoil Plug, Standard Style "

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
109 Posts
Be sure to check for the spring going "solid", a Commanche is not really a Commander.
What spring to use then? Use a commander spring and trim it, or is there a specific spring? I'm asking because I just replaced a Commanche spring with a Commander spring and I think it was stacking. I say this because my bushing cracked. Any help/feedback would be appreciated.

·
Dremel jockey
4,286 Posts
Talk to Rob at Alchemy.
Great guy.
Best bet!

Reactions: timw1

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
109 Posts
I think I fffed up with the Commander spring. I dropped the gun off at a local gunsmith to have a new bushing fitted, and just ordered new springs from Baer. I'm new to Baer, so live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Their for sale section is not intuitive, I bought a 4.25 18# spring for mine, then typed in the comments section that all parts were for a Commanche

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ok now that I’m sober albeit with a small hangover, I went to check the plugs and now I can’t find the commander plug. Many moons ago I put in a FLGR. Yeah I know. So I measured the plug from my DW Guardian. Guardian plug is .953” from the shoulder to the base. The Commanche was 1.000”. Seeing as I just replaced the springs last week, I counted coils. New spring is a Wilson 20# commander and has 22 coils same as the old Bear spring. Also checked for stacking and all is fine. Rearward movement measures the same with or without spring.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I get it. I may be one of the lucky ones. Mine runs and runs. Sitting at about 6500 rds now. Ran it 1400 rds once only lubing it. No malfunctions but what a mess to clean. Never do that again. But if it ever needs work it will go elsewhere too.
And that is why I'll be sending the Commanche off to his competition for refinishing and other odds and ends.

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
109 Posts
Can a Commanche be machined for better reliability? If so, does anyone know a smith who does this modification?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts