Commander 2011 Frame

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by azpoolguy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I’m just beginning to learn about 2011s. My current carry gun is a G19 with an RMR. I love the extra capacity for training classes and drills that require 12-15 rounds as most training classes these days seem to be gear toward poly pistol owners. However my first true love is the 1911.

I would like to build a double stack commander now that companies like Nighthawk and Chambers have worked out the RMR mount for a 1911 slide.

Are most companies using a Government length slide and cutting it back to commander length and running a bull barrel or is there a commander length 2011 frame available that I’m just not finding available online?

Is there a shorter frame available as well for carry that would use a mag in the 15 round size?

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    JEM was supposed to working on a commander 2011 frame for release around last May. I am not sure if they ever posted them on their site however.

As for a 120mm grip with a magwell someone smarter than me will have to chime in.

azpoolguy likes this.

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've not seen any commander length 2011 frames, but that doesn't mean anything.

Jem lists a 'tri-low' but I don't know what that is. Maybe they will machine one for you?

I've put something like this on my 'to-do' list. I'll start with a 5" monolith slide on a wide frame, cut everything to length, make (or buy) a commander length reverse plug and run a bull or coned barrel. Maybe put HP cuts on the front if I get adventurous.

The idea has potential.

FWoo45 and azpoolguy like this.
  4. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
  5. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    wrmiller likes this.
  6. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    The 4.15 Tactical frame uses a railed full length dust cover. It is usually only available in steel. Many of STI’s carry guns use AL alloy frames.

You could always mill off the rails to save weight.

You could also cut down any frame.

STI’s 120mm grips are just 3/8”(ish) shorter than a full size grip. It is longer than an officers length grip. STI does not usually sell the 120mm grip. I know of a source that buys them in bulk then sells them. There are also a few on GunBroker but they are a pretty penny.

SVI makes a killer 113mm grip that is much closer to Officer size (bit shorter). This is the perfect size in my opinion. The only drawbacks are it’s only available in metal (AL or steel), you’d have to buy expensive SVI mags, as it is priced like other SVI items (pricey).

You could take a 120mm grip and modify it to take the 113mm mags, and cut the front 3/4 of the grip so it could seat. You’d have to leave the MSH the stock length and just cut the front down and flush seat the mags with the MSH.

If you get hard up in your search let me know, I might be convinced to sell you a Tactical frame and 120mm grip.

7. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Another option for frames is L-10 Machine. They’ll make you an AL alloy frame, they also have an aircraft AL frame and Titanuim if you want to break out the piggy bank. I bet they’d cut down a frame to any length you want.

FWoo45 and wrmiller like this.
  8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    And one more thing on this thread. If you are looking for a light weight optics cut STI carry gun I might have one coming available in a month or so.

wrmiller likes this.
  9. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Can’t wait to see you build one up once you get going. I really like the nighthawk system. Wishing I would have waited on some of my guns that I cut for RMR

azpoolguy likes this.
  10. HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Late last year, I emailed JEM to see if they were going to offer a 2011 Commander frame/slide. Received this in December from Elliott Minshew:

Might be worth a call to verify.....

wrmiller and azpoolguy like this.
  11. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    That is good news. That is route I would like to go.

HOGRIDER and wrmiller like this.
  12. HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    azpoolguy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted