Commander Flat-Wire setups

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rlacrossjr, May 1, 2019.

1. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Hello,
    I know the GI vs FLGR has been killed for last 30 years. I agree that with conventional springs GI is the way to go with no real benefit to a FLGR. The upgrade of using ISMI Flat-Wire seems nice. Seems like 4”and 5” are not having issues with short GI version. Anyone have any long term results with commander GI/plug vs say EGW commander FLGR? I have both and of course the FLGR is smooth, but the Wilson GI Rod is rough and binding/grinding. I got my barrel Carbon TiN Coated and just dry fire racking drills, gave me a mark on the underside of the barrel.
    [​IMG]
    Is this just the way the Flat-Wire GI setup is in a commander, and should stick with the FLGR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015

3. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    The short commander GI style rod allows the spring to kink and rub. No bueno. What you can do is use the wilson compact rod for a 4" and a plug for a full length guide rod. That works 100%

4. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Wondering is any Sig 1911 Carry have this issue or if most of them either switch to 1/4” FLGR or conventional GI setup.

I prefer the GI for the non tool easier take down but like that I will never have to buy another recoil spring with the flat wire. I have EGW commander 1/4” that I had Carbon TiN
    [​IMG]

5. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow no Sig Carry users? Guess if want Flat-Wire go with FLGR or conventional springs GI setup.

6. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Did weight my commander with standard GI vs FW FLGR.

GI 26.24oz
    FW FLGR 26.72oz

So added weight is minimal.

I did find for correct flatwire pounds have to test compressed at 1.125”. If I do that with glock 19 18# I get 15#. Ismi standard round 16.5#.
    the 22# flatwire I cut the length down to match the round 18# length. That one tested 17#, don’t remember how many coils I cut off. But probably same as buying 20#, seems 2-3# less at compressed than advertised #, not altering.

7. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Glock 19 20# is think the way to go. At compressed was getting pretty solid 18#
    I would by EGW 22# again to test but think I have a winner finally.

8. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm using the NH flatwire kit with the FLGR in my commander. I wouldn't change

9. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Ya NH and EGW seem to be the best option for FLGR. Just prefer GI style better. Have not shot yet but got Wilson Combat Commander 1/4 GI rod, glock 19 20# flatwire, and EGW Long plug. I did remove the shock-buff area off so whole short GI Rod is 1/4” and hand polished.
    [​IMG]

10. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    So I finally got some time to shoot. Have the flat radios FPS, full size glock 17 flatware springs. Using Wilson Combat short 1/4” GI setup and EGW FLGR 1/4”.

Ran 100 rounds on each setup. No FTF or any malfunction. Quick clean and re-oil after each test.
    -Wilson with 17# recoil
    -Wilson with 20# recoil
    -EGW with 17#
    -EGW with 20#

For me the EGW and 17# was very enjoyable with a much lighter recoil. FLGR seem to have less muzzle bounce and faster target acquisition. Also standard 230 FMJ, keep 20# for testing carry +P loads.

jacobconroy75 and Gary1911A1 like this.
  11. Hampton212

Hampton212 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Flat wire springs are great, glad you found a setup that works. Love mine in pistols and ARs.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted