1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lefty and I'm looking for a Commander with an Ambi Safety. I've put an ambi safety on my full size Kimber 1911 and that is an option I guess but I was looking for an option besides buying another Kimber for EDC.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yeah, seems to me just about every semi custom can have one as an option...I know all mine have them. If not, they can be added but they will probably not have a factory finish look...unless you send it back to the manufacturer to have them add it. Amazingly common to have it with Ambi.

PS...welcome to the site. Enjoy.

Where you from?

·
The Tinker
3,344 Posts
You could always try looking into a Cabot left handed 1911. Not sure if available, nor how pricey though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would just get the commander you want the most and have a good gunsmith add a high quality ambi. That's what i did with both of these. Although they've both had other work as well -- especially the one with the snakewood grips.

41EB647E-C449-4141-9CC0-7523B4D7655D.jpeg

·
The Tinker
3,344 Posts
I would just get the commander you want the most and have a good gunsmith add a high quality ambi. That's what i did with both of these. Although they've both had other work as well -- especially the one with the snakewood grips.
View attachment 418513
I'm ambidextrous and will carry and shoot with either hand. So a good ambi is a absolute must for me. I'm partial to that EGW HD ambi safety that uses a extended pin to retain the right side flipper. Very solid feeling engagement/disengagement from either side.

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
4,331 Posts

View attachment 418513
I'm ambidextrous and will carry and shoot with either hand. So a good ambi is a absolute must for me. I'm partial to that EGW HD ambi safety that uses a extended pin to retain the right side flipper. Very solid feeling engagement/disengagement from either side.
I shoot weak hand often to train with so I have ambis on all my guns just about at this point. EGW or Wilson BP, just have a good smith install them, what I do.

Reactions: Dub and wrmiller

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the external extractor heresy? Would I get banned my first week on this forum? Sig Sauer has a couple of Carry pistols with an ambi safety and bobtailed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I can probably swing a V-bob, but right now I need to buy a new truck and $1900 eats into that down payment pretty hard. I see a few on Gunbroker but most of them are the stainless finish and I don't really care for that color/finish. I'd rather have the black finish.

What about the DW ECP? I understand I'd have to put the ambi safety on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a new Colt Combat Commander for under $1000 which I think is a good/fair price. It doesn't have an ambi safety on it but there is a good GS near by if I can't do it myself.

I know its not a V-bob but the price tag on the V-bob's I'm seeing are just too high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem is the more I search the more I find. Too many choices. Found an online store selling a DW Vigil Commander for $1068 which I think is a better pistol than the Colt. No ambi safety on that model but a trip to the GS should fix that

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
There is no question the DW is night and day nicer and IMO better made then the Colt

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
EGW ambi with the sleeve in the center is a very stout ambi safety. Especially for left handers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pulled the trigger on my first DW Vigil Commander. I have an EB ambi safety on order. I may have to go to the local indoor range and shoot this week after work. I've been cooped up the last couple of weeks and need some trigger therapy

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great choice on the DW! I'm also a lefty and used the carry EB ambi on my Valor. Great safety and even better manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Any and all makers will put a Ambi-safety on one of their guns for you. Pick one and go.

Even STI sells "Commanders" w/ ambi-safeties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts