Comments from 1955

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by limbkiller, Jun 30, 2020.

1. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

2. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Remember the gas war pricing between competing gas stations in the 60's? I remember as a kid 2 gas stations across the street from each other continually lowering their prices against each other and we're talking 15 - 17 cents a gallon with full service. The station attendant would check fluids, pump gas, wash the windshield for that price. And every kid in the car got a free superball.

3. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I remember my Grand daddy saying these same words while watching TV helping my Grand mother shell pecans,snap beans,peel apples.Great times thanks for the memory.

4. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    My dad was retired military so we would go to Kelly Field in San Antonio once a month and fill up the back of our '58 Buick station wagon with food for a month for $25.00. Cigarettes' were $2.00 a carton, with no tax. The guys would take your groceries out to the car and load them for you. My dad would tip them a quarter for their service. We had 3 channels on the TV and the remote control was what ever channel my dad told me to get up and change it to. Fedmart had gasoline for $.19/ gallon everyday.

5. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Wow! Great thread. I remember as late as 2002, seeing gas in Florida at $1.45 gal and about had a heart attack. This was right after I got my first full size pickup too. When I was a kid in the 90’s, gas was still around a buck a gallon.

And guns were cheap too. Bought my first govt model Colt for $429 new. That was in about ‘96 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneEyedTanker and isialk like this.
  6. wobblie

wobblie Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Gas wars were common back when there was actual competition.

Bugs and isialk like this.
  7. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Don’t forget the loaf of bread for a quarter and it even built strong bodies 8 ways(later changed to 12).

limbkiller and isialk like this.
  8. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I was born in 56 and I remember my mom never worked when my sister and I were kids. It was kind of a nod to my dad. She was a graduate of what at the time was called business college. She ran a group of legal aides who all worked for Ohio Bell in her hometown of Cleveland creating rate cases. She’d always worked. Her dad died at age fifty so her mom needed the help. Before we were born she ran a local law office. My dad never graduated from high school. Quit at 16 and to work to help support his mom and seven siblings. Went to war. Came back and the country mouse married the big city town mouse. In our little town, and I’m sure in other towns, the only reasons a married woman worked was because they were either widowed, single, or because their husband was incapable of supporting his family. My father would never have tolerated any hint of that! Real men didn’t need their wives help to support them. That’s what real men did! Damn it! My mom, god bless her, would never have done anything to diminish my dad or his status. A truly different world indeed. Great thread limbkiller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ingramite

Ingramite On The Lost Highway

Sep 16, 2018
    Oh yeah, all of that is true but just think how much better we have it today!

isialk likes this.
  10. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I remember going to the movies for $1.
    $.75 for the ticket and $.25 for a bag of popcorn!
    Cheapest babysitter in town...

11. Jersey James

Jersey James Active Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Born in 1948, I remember after saving all week turning in empty soda bottles, or delivering newspapers, saving up a dollar for Saturdays. When Saturday afternoon finally came around, we ( my two cousins, a couple of other neighborhood kids) would walk downtown, that saved us 12 cents, or 24 cents round trip bus fare. For 50 cents at the downtown theater, we would watch (in cool AC) TWO movies, a news reel and a few cartoons. Then on the walk home, we would stop at a pizzeria, and we would all have a 15 cents a slice, and share a large soda ( one soda, a a bunch of straws). Great childhood memories..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    OneEyedTanker, isialk and limbkiller like this.
  12. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    My favorite saying is the dead of winter growing up in the Adirondack Mts. Of upstate NY was,
    wouldn’t it be nice if the garage door opened itself by remote control.
    My Dad used to make me get out of the car to open the garage door.

13. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Damn . They had a tv ??

1911 dawg and isialk like this.
  14. j quan

j quan Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018

don't forget the triple blue chip stamps!

isialk and Bugs like this.
  15. Jersey James

Jersey James Active Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Don't forget the Shell Gas Station steak knife... Still have a few...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted