Commited a sin - traded a 1911 for a revolver

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Acroyer, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Acroyer

Acroyer I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    Yep! I am slowly filling out my very short grail-gun list. One of my items was a S&W in 45 Colt.

Well, someone on ArmsList had one for sale; a 625 Mountain Gun. I was trying to sell a Sig Legion at the time, but had no nibbles. Apparently, the novelty is gone on these. Anyway, after his ad was up for a little while, I chanced texting him to see if he was interested in a trade. Turns out that he wasn't too thrilled with the Sig and was really looking for a .45 acp.

So, I traded him my S&W 1911 Pro 3" model with a couple of holsters. We set up the trade for today.

The 625 is awesome! It's a 625-6 (I thought only odd numbered versions were 45 Colt?), pre-lock, with the firing pin still on the hammer. In great shape. Came with the Hogue rubber, which was no big deal.

I could actually stop now. The only thing left on my grail list is a nice Delta Elite. I have a RIA MS 10mm, which admittedly is not quite in the same class, which fills the 1911 10mm hole.

Sorry for the crappy pic. I am not an artist with my cell phone...

20181202_135427.jpg

I think I may put some nice Altamont grips on it. I got some recently for my model 28, and like them quite a bit.

20181202_135450.jpg

Badabing11, KS95B40, GA 1911 and 22 others like this.
  2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    1911s and N frame S&Ws are my favs .

3. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    It’s only a “sin” if you trade a 1911 for a plastic gun, and considering what you traded for...:thumbs:

4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I wouldn't call that a sin so much as using your head for something more than a hat rack, you ended up with a much more versatile gun. Congratulations, we're now waiting for a range report.

5. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    That’s an understandable sin and a nice score. I’ve done it myself. Back at the beginning of the year I traded a S&W e-series 1911sc that I loved for a pristine LNIB S&W 586-1 in nickel. However I’m now looking to buy another 1911sc !

Attached Files:

Badabing11, Acroyer and Mike Meints like this.
  6. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Some would say...
    The S&W 1911 Pro is not a true JMB design due to the external extractor... no harm, no foul.
    Enjoy that 625!

BigSkyGuy, UBOATDOC, gps man and 3 others like this.
  7. Acroyer

Dec 16, 2015
    Thanks, guys.

Now I'll have to start loading up some 45 Colt again, after I find a source for primers and slugs. The gun store I used to go to doesn't carry that stuff anymore.

8. Diablo

Diablo When in doubt, empty the magazine!!!

Nov 28, 2018
    Yes, the Altamont grips would be nice!!!!

Badabing11 and Lou1 like this.
  9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd have made that trade all day!

10. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    The Altamont grips on the 28 look really nice.

Badabing11 likes this.
  11. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    I’ll second that. I’ve owned several Glocks but I wouldn’t trade any of my 1911’s for one, not even if it was an Agency Arms Glock.

Badabing11 likes this.
  12. 4runnerteq

4runnerteq Member

Dec 2, 2018
    I did and now Im sick. SA GI Champion for G19. Been looking for another since. That was 2 years ago.

Badabing11 and Lou1 like this.
  13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Your ok and did good. I’m just now starting to pick up revolvers. Trades are fun but always remember to never trade steel for plastic:mad:

However the other way around anytime you can trade plastic for steel your good to go!:happy:

Badabing11 and gps man like this.
  14. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
  15. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’ve done worse. I did the most sacrelieous trade in the world and I won’t tell you what it was. But it will sell for the same money because people are people. So I broke even at least. I might post it one of these days.

16. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    You've got a nice one. 625-6 was the last of the "no MIM, no lock" guns.

I acquired a pair of them several years back; FO FS's, Herrett's grips, opened cylinder throats and did double action trigger jobs.
    A heavy, cast, Keith type SWC or WFNGC at 1000+ FPS is murder on hogs/deer and not too rough on the guns. (AA#9 is a favorite for this.)
    If you haven't already, read this article by John Linebaugh on .45 Colt/S&W revolver: http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

[​IMG]

Joni Lynn, KS95B40, gps man and 8 others like this.
  17. Acroyer

Dec 16, 2015
    So far, for range loads, I have been using a 255gr bullet with 9.2 gr of Unique. In my 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk that makes for a fun shooting round. Supposedly puts it at 950 fps. Gives some kick without being brutal.

I have to keep the Underwood 250gr +P ammo away from it. That stuff is pretty crazy, and downright unpleasant in a handgun (1400fps, 1088 ft lbs).

Those Herretts are sweet!

gps man, gaijin and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  18. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  19. Acroyer

Dec 16, 2015
    I ordered some Altamont super rosewood grips for it. At $42 a set, they are hard to pass up. And yes, I will probably carry it at times! No sense letting such a fine gun sit in a safe.

[​IMG]

KS95B40, mikemac, Hardball and 9 others like this.
  20. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Good trade!
    Go forth and sin no more!

Acroyer likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted