Compacts At 50 Yards

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by doc540, Jan 15, 2012.

1. doc540

doc540 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    Yesterday I ventured over to the rifle range to shoot the SBR and make sure it's little red dot was still sighted in.

I thought, "What the hey?!" and decided to load up the CCO and give it a try.

hmmmmmmmm..........

I don't have pics, but even with my old eyes through trifocals, I was able to put most of 'em COM.

Who'da thunk it?

Now, I know 50 yd shooting with a full size 1911 is a common thing among bullseye shooters, but I'd never shot a pistol at that range before. It's FUN!

In fact, it was so much fun I hope to go back today or tomorrow with some darker targets (the big, off-white, IDPA outline paper are hard to see) and shoot with some match ammo (AND a spotting scope).

Great hobby, ain't it

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You can see 50yds? Damn I gotta get some new glasses. Good shooting I guess as without pics the story is subject to scrutiny. LOLOL

3. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Good to Go ! :thumb:

I'm with Limbkiller on this one,my eyes are so effed up,I probably would have to call in an airstrike to hit a target at that range! :grin:

As much trash that I talk about DW,I will say they do make an accurate pistol!

DAT85

4. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Our pistol range has a 18" or so metal plate out at 75 yards. I love to pop off rounds at it. I think it really helps me learn trigger control, instead on focusing on where the little hole is in the target, I focus on my grip and trigger because the sound of metal impacting metal will let me know how I did. Dirt clouds generally help tell you how far off you are too.

5. doc540

Oct 11, 2011
    uhhh....it's a COLT :thumb:

6. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Oh that explains it then. lol

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    OOPS!
    My BAD ! :Cry:

No wonder it actually works! :eek:

DAT85

8. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Good job Doc...pics or it never happened:der:

9. doc540

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm going back with better targets and a camera.

Wonder if I can hit the paper with the LC9?

10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I really want to start working on longer distances this coming year. I've never shot a pistol > 25 yards before.

11. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Want to talk of shooting at a far away target?
    Well once out in the Badlands of Arizona I took a shot at the moon with my 45!

Don't know if I hit it........

:rolleyes2:

12. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    The best group I've ever shot at 50 yards was with my Kimber Ultra that Chuck did for me. 7 shot 4" group, leaning over the bench, as a rest, like you would leaning over a car hood. "Semi offhand" if you will. :grin:

This badass mofo right here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tough to see where you are hitting a per target at 50 yds at least for me. I either shoot at my 7 inch steel plate which gongs when I hit it or those bright orange clay birds that explode so nice when you hit them. The private range where I shoot at has tons of them littered all over the place after the shot gun matches. Just toss them up on the dirt back stop and pop a few; don't hit'em on every try but it is fun. We had put a plastic bottle jammed/propped on a stick shoved into the berm at 50 yds and shot at it. Could not tell we were even hitting it until we walked down and inspected it; had holes in it. I would need binoculars or a spotting scope if I was punching paper at that distance. :eek:

14. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    I've done the same thing. :rofl2:

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Hitting steel consistently at fifty yards is a real confidence builder. It really emphasizes the fundamentals of trigger control. I get a lot of good experience out of practicing at that distance, and encourage other shooters to do the same.

Andy

16. doc540

Oct 11, 2011
    Went back today with better targets and shot the LC9, too.

25 knot crosswind

50 yds

LC9 (It really ain't that hard once you get it on the paper.)
    [​IMG]

The Colt CCO at 50 yds (I think my trigger finger is pushing a lot of shots low/left.)
    [​IMG]

50 yds from the firing line
    [​IMG]

The Dinan took its place amidst the trucks
    [​IMG]

17. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Well I said you were suspect until pics. Well there is the proof. I sure don't want you shooting at me. Maybe the cowboys in the old movies could shoot that good. LOL Congrats nice shooting Doc.

18. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    You have many nice ones, glock! This is the one I have not seen in your collection before...Great looking gun. What did Chuck do to it? How does it shoot?

19. doc540

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks, but I suppose if someone regularly practiced at that range, it would tighten up quite a bit.

The wind was blowing so hard I'd just pause for 15 or 20 seconds and shoot between gusts.

It wasn't affecting the bullet as much as it was blowing the gun around like I was directing a Hellcat onto a pitching flight deck!

20. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted