1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You guys realize 7yds is meaningless right?
Lol... as noted still new to pistols. Especially 2011. My next step is to increase or decrease the time between shots.

Not sure what the stats are on the range most shootings occur.

This maybe:

The FBI statistics show the average distance is around 7-10 yards with around 6 shots being fired.

I'm happy with this range for now.
Thanks for the insight.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
7 yards isn’t meaningless, all practice is beneficial both up close and at distance, snatching the trigger will still show up even at 7 yards
I would agree. One of my issues is pulling to the left of center. When i see the shot do that, i check my grip. If i can get center hits being slow and steady, i need to practice speeding up.

Thanks

· Registered
2,523 Posts
You guys realize 7yds is meaningless right?
7 yards isn’t meaningless. I personally practice from 7 to 25 yards indoors running different drills. All practice is good if you have a focus as to what you are doing and what you want to accomplish. As noted earlier, I think most “gun fights” take place within 10 yards per the FBI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,450 Posts
7 yards is meaningless in the context of the OP's initial post. You can draw exactly zero conclusions from the groups presented, in terms of which gun shoots better. As an admitted new shooter, the OP does not need to worry about determining which gun shoots better. Pick one you like and just shoot it till you become a solid shooter. Looks like you are on your way.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
7 yards is meaningless in the context of the OP's initial post. You can draw exactly zero conclusions from the groups presented, in terms of which gun shoots better. As an admitted new shooter, the OP does not need to worry about determining which gun shoots better. Pick one you like and just shoot it till you become a solid shooter. Looks like you are on your way.
While i admit your have more knowledge in shooting then i do, saying it doesnt allow to reasonably come to the conclusion which is better.

Between the artemis and sandviper, the sv holds a better grouping for me then the artemis. They are both ( for me,) to big for carry. The nyx shot better then i expected.

At present only have easy access to a indoor range between work and home. ( fridays after work)

All of these i shoot better then my m18 or g19.

Thanks anyways. Appreciate the advice.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
While i admit your have more knowledge in shooting then i do, saying it doesnt allow to reasonably come to the conclusion which is better.

Between the artemis and sandviper, the sv holds a better grouping for me then the artemis. They are both ( for me,) to big for carry. The nyx shot better then i expected.

At present only have easy access to a indoor range between work and home. ( fridays after work)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Looking at the groups, my first swag would be that the SV fits your hand better.

My point was that both guns are capable of way more accuracy than shown on your targets.

· Registered
2,523 Posts
If your groups suck at 7 yards they aren’t going to improve at 25 yards. I agree if you are trying to determine the absolute accuracy of the pistol then shoot from a rest. As to which gun he shoots more accurately then 7 yards is sufficient but it won’t determine what the actual gun is capable of. Very few save for the top 0.1 percent can shoot what a gun is capable of. As someone who shoots long range, I do see groups start to fall apart at distance but that’s ammo related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
55 Posts

Shoot 30 groups minimum from each gun at 25 yards and you can almost start to try to draw such a conclusion. The posts above are statistically insignificant.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Yeah. The initial idea was to compare how each one felt for shooting.

7 yrds was to see ( with my skill level) how i shot them. Also its a indoor range so cant do any bill drills and such.

In any case thanks for the insights.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Yeah. The initial idea was to compare how each one felt for shooting.

7 yrds was to see ( with my skill level) how i shot them. Also its a indoor range so cant do any bill drills and such.

In any case thanks for the insights.
I hear you, and am not trying to beat you up at all. Just trying to put your 7 yard accuracy into perspective. All those groups are good. The left bias indicates a likely fit issue for you, but could be other things as well, like sight zero.

Which do you prefer shooting and why? Which do you think you shoot better on other types of drills? slow fire accuracy is important, but only a part of the picture.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I hear you, and am not trying to beat you up at all. Just trying to put your 7 yard accuracy into perspective. All those groups are good. The left bias indicates a likely fit issue for you, but could be other things as well, like sight zero.

Which do you prefer shooting and why? Which do you think you shoot better on other types of drills? slow fire accuracy is important, but only a part of the picture.
Thanks and i understand all the comments. It seems i don't like money and with all the hours of work vs time is limited.

Getting closer to retirement and will have more time

Just a starting point.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts