1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owning a comped .45, I decided to add a Wilson Combat bushing style comp to my worked over 5 inch Norinco. Some of the reviews I read stated they were getting about 30% in recoil reduction with these semi-drop in comps from Wilson.

I spent about an hour fitting the bushing end to the slide to get it to fit. I than added a spray and bake finish to the comp to match the Norinco. The comp comes blued from Wilson. After trying 4 different rounds ( 185 gr factory, 200 gr. SWC, 230 Ball), I really couldn't tell if I was getting any recoil reduction.

Since I wasn't a fan of the comp or how it looked on this 5 inch gun, I decided to cut it down from 3 top ports to 1 port & fit it to my Colt Commander. I ended stripping off the spray & bake paint & bringing it back to blued to match the Colt.

I have no idea if it will work, but I'll take it out next week with the same ammo. I sure do like the way it looks. And it fits in holsters for a 5 inch 1911. If anything, it might shoot softer just from the weight of the comp on the end of the slide.

Here's the end result. I love to tinker.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That looks 🔥🔥🔥

From what I've read on the internets, a .45 doesn't quiet benefit from a comp or brake the way a rifle or even a 9mm would. My guess is the felt benefit would be from the extra weight at the muzzle.

That being said, I have no hands-on experience with comped .45s, so I'm in to see what your thoughts are after shooting.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The overall profile looks very similar to Wilsons factory carry comp, but the larger than 45 caliber opening at the end is making for a very short and open wall for the gas to hit and therefor making this comp likely rather ineffective at rise reduction. It might be worth seeing if Wilson sells there carry comp alone.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have NC Fire Hawk /9mm... The comp/spring combination is amazing,flat,light shooting. When double tapping plates I noticed a tighter group. I like others flirted with comped .45's but wasn't impressed. This Fire Hawk Is great.
Your comp work looks similar to mine.

·
In Kentucky
10,350 Posts
I bought a 45 comp gun from a neighbor when comp guns were coming on. I did notice a slight difference in recoil pulse. The pistol came back on target faster and had a total difference recoil as muzzle started to rise you could feel it push down.

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
That looks 🔥🔥🔥

From what I've read on the internets, a .45 doesn't quiet benefit from a comp or brake the way a rifle or even a 9mm would. My guess is the felt benefit would be from the extra weight at the muzzle.

That being said, I have no hands-on experience with comped .45s, so I'm in to see what your thoughts are after shooting.
It doesn't, first comped "race guns" were 45acp back in the day even with "warm" loads. I've shot them and they're marginal at best. Best comp in those days was the classic double D. Comps work infinitely better on higher pressure guns. Compensated 38 Supers are a ball.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
In my experience a bushing style comp is inefficient in design as a gas compensater. With that being said I still like em on a couple pistols I have. I like the added weight on the end and that in itself helps with muzzle rise but its a trade off with muzzle dip. For me tho I can recover from dip faster than rise if that makes sense. I read some where that bushing style comps only benefit from about 30% of the gas venting over a real comp. I dont know how accurate that is but its inline with what I experienced overall.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What little I know about comp guns, have a few old school ones now and am learning, is that you need a real gassy powder, if that is the right term, and lots of it. The more gasses the better the comp works. Like major power factor .38 Supers.

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
What little I know about comp guns, have a few old school ones now and am learning, is that you need a real gassy powder, if that is the right term, and lots of it. The more gasses the better the comp works. Like major power factor .38 Supers.
It's higher pressure. You can do it with warmer 9mm loads too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My brother lent me a comped 45 years ago when they were all the rage for IPSC shooting (I think it was a single-port Clark). He had broken off a barrel lug and had a gunsmith friend weld it back on. Chromed Springfield frame, blued slide, Bo-Mar sights.

That pistol was THE singular most precise .45 caliber pistol I have ever fired (over dozens of different pistols). It would put magazines of 185- and 200-grain lead semi- wadcutters into a single hole at 25 yards, two-handed off a sandbag. I literally refused to believe it until I did it over and over.

I eventually gave it back, but remember it quite fondly.

I think a proper fixed comp (not a bushing after-thought) can do well on a Commander-length 45.

·
The Tinker
4,264 Posts
Simple
Run some drills.
Maybe El.Presidente
Use a timer and score.
Do you see a difference?
This...^^^

Never saw much improvement on a 45, but on a 38 Super the difference was measurable, in both shorter run times and better scoring. I saw even better results with 10mm, but I was an outlier in that I'm a big guy and not recoil sensitive. Most who tried my 10mm actually did worse than with their own 38 Super race guns.

Then the RDSs started showing up. Hated what they did to the balance of my pistol (especially the early 'trash cans'), but once I got used to it there was no denying it helped. And there was no way I could remain competitive in Master Class with irons, so...

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
My brother lent me a comped 45 years ago when they were all the rage for IPSC shooting (I think it was a single-port Clark). He had broken off a barrel lug and had a gunsmith friend weld it back on. Chromed Springfield frame, blued slide, Bo-Mar sights.

That pistol was THE singular most precise .45 caliber pistol I have ever fired (over dozens of different pistols). It would put magazines of 185- and 200-grain lead semi- wadcutters into a single hole at 25 yards, two-handed off a sandbag. I literally refused to believe it until I did it over and over.

I eventually gave it back, but remember it quite fondly.

I think a proper fixed comp (not a bushing after-thought) can do well on a Commander-length 45.
Comped 45aco 1911s started in 1980-81. They were all properly mounted (threaded barrels). Never saw one on a Commander, but on a Govt, the effect was minimal. Even with warm loads. Comps are exceptional on higher pressure cartridges. I shot one or two of Mickey Fowlers 38 supers, loved them. They were like shooting 22s. This is an itch I've never scratched yet.

·
Dremel jockey
4,950 Posts
I have an OLD 45acp comp gun I built for myself.
Radically lightened slide.
With 155gr pills at 1150 fps it's very flat.

Reactions: sinister
1 - 20 of 22 Posts