1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I’m a complete beginner not only to the 1911 world but also to the firearms world. I come from California and have had experience(limited) shooting .22 rifles and black powder muzzleloaders, which are fun!

I'm a history guy before a gun enthusiast. I'd like to get into firearms with a combination of something else I enjoy, that's why I'm only looking at GI configurations of a classic icon of Americana.
What I’m looking for is something that holds a great deal of accuracy to the 1917 model used throughout WW1, yet, I am definitely willing to compromise on historical purity, for the purposes of not being able to get everything I want in my budget, something around the ballpark of $1k more or less. My main concerns for what I'm looking for consists of a few things:
-a long trigger
-flat mainspring housing
-Blued finish
-5” barrel

In my search for an authentic looking 1911 with these features, I’ve found a model that makes some compromises that I'm willing to make, since it carries many of the features I do want the most. Which is the Colt 1991 Series model.

Now there are definitely some features that this model has that are obviously not true to original 1917 models, such as the cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, and the longer grip safety spur (to prevent hammer bite), and of course the firing pin block. Out of these three discrepancies, the one thing I actually like a lot, and embrace, is the longer grip spur.

My only question to anyone willing to read any of this is: what do you think about this choice? Mentioning these points I’ve made above to a few people in real life has gotten me strange looks about getting anything with a firing pin block, or I shouldn't go Colt, or this and that. To be very clear, my main priority and interest in is something that is as close as I can get to something from the time period, and really nothing else save for a few compromises here and there if it's what it takes to achieve my goal within the budget.

I'm sorry if any of this comes off as ignorant, as I admit I really have no idea what I’m talking about, I just know what I like.

I find that the surface internet can be a little too objective when researching these things, and appreciate real conversations with all of you about this.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
About the only thing that is on roster in CA that you can actually buy new on this configuration would probably be the Springfield mil-spec model # pb9108lca there are no colts on the Ca roster anymore that I know of. A 1991 will more then likely sell for a big premium in CA

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
About the only thing that is on roster in CA that you can actually buy new on this configuration would probably be the Springfield mil-spec model # pb9108lca there are no colts on the Ca roster anymore that I know of. A 1991 will more then likely sell for a big premium in CA

That's a great looking gun, and getting a gunsmith to change out the mainspring housing for a flat smooth one and a longer trigger the OP would still be under his stated budget.

Win / win . . . .

All he would need to make the transformation complete would be a wide spur hammer.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Colorado!!!! You will find many friendly folks on this forum who are, especially when it comes to the Model 1911, insightful, knowledgeable, and willing to share!!! As WWB has pointed out, your states' laws will, to a great extent, determine what you can, and cannot own.

Gary

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
welcome to the show

not sur e if this fits the bill or is on the roster BUT Fusion makes a 1911 freedom serie s government model that is close to what you want and is below 1 grand.
do NOT buy the 9mm.

these are not fancy guns but for the money they work

Reactions: jhc147 and isialk

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Welcome,
Like posted previously your states roster will be the big limiting factor,
The Springfield milspec would get you close,
Again welcome

·
What me worry ?
11,110 Posts
My suggestion is to purchase one of Colts 100 year Anniversary pistols , can be had close to your price range ,can’t get more original than that.
OH , you live in California....... never mind !!
Welcome from the Atlantic

B9A6FAE4-810F-44BF-9E9D-20026DD4CE59.gif

·
Turgid member
526 Posts
The Springfield has good bones should you want to start enhancing it down the road.

Reactions: isialk and jhc147

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Welcome And it sure seems like you have a well informed and researched plan, now to just home in on the exact one you need (would be much easier without that pesky California roster crap) and all will be right with the world. Hopefully we end up with one more true shooter and addict in you! Once again, WELCOME!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Like previously mention the Springfield on CA’s roster is going to be the closest thing you can get. But before you switch things out since you’re new to the world. I would recommend you shooting it stock and getting to know the firearm better before modifying.

A good forum for you to look at is Calguns.net they have a great for sale section. Just keep your eyes open for one. I’m sure there are some already listed on there that would meet your needs.

Or you use your budget to move out of California and get whatever you want haha. Just messing around, I escaped there last year.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
everyone, thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate your help and welcoming words.
I will continue in my search with what I have now, and soon I hope to come back to you all with something new!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts