1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of buying canned compressed air. I was wondering if you guys have any alternatives that you have found that work well to clean you’re guns out. Something that is portable that would work other then a big air compressor.

Thanks Sam

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I got one thru Harbor Freight (mail order) about $40-50. Small good for just spraying air to blow out the solvent and such. It's lasted about 3 years now and if it takes a dump, so what.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Small good for just spraying air to blow out the solvent and such. It's lasted about 3 years now and if it takes a dump, so what.
This is probably best approach. I would consider adding a small in-line filter to help remove oil and moisture, unless you are going to spray the gun with some kind of lubricant afterward.

(I personally use a bottle of compressed nitrogen, but I have it on hand for other chores.)

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
I have one of those small, roll-around “oil-less” compressors I got from Lowes years ago. It’s not this one, but similar and I think this is about what I paid:
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-gallon-15-hp-150-psi-oil-free-portable-air-compressor-64294.html

It works fine - can drive an air ratchet or small impact wrench, fill tires, sweep my floor, blow crap out of spark plug holes, and blast munge out of barrels and frames and stuff.

I don’t have an inline filter. I just drain the tank regularly, because it does collect a lot of water. But I only use it for blowing crap out and everything gets wiped down and cleaned afterward. I do find it very handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got one thru Harbor Freight (mail order) about $40-50. Small good for just spraying air to blow out the solvent and such. It's lasted about 3 years now and if it takes a dump, so what.
I have a harbor freight by me I will stop in and have a look. For 50 dollars and going on 3 years that doesn’t owe you anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Buy yourself an air compressor.
I agree we tried a Box Store special but ended up buying a used gas station Compressor
for half the price I paid for the junk.

Not every one needs a Compressor for Bead/Sand blasting but I did. I was wrong to
think I could use a single stage rather that the Duel stage compressor Scat Blast suggested.

When we were shopping I saw more Hobby compressors than larger models like
we bought. I saw American made Compressors for under $50.00 that
would work much longer & better than the China Junk.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use a 5 lb CO2 bottle with a nitrogen regulator. Lots of pressure, portable. Regulator and tank about the same cost as a pancake compressor. Lots more pressure. I own a nice compressor but like this better.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
No matter what compressor you get, be sure to get yourself a long air hose. You never know where you're gonna find a place to use it.. ;-)

IMG_20200124_133024338.jpg

·
Banned
180 Posts
Bersa 45 Ultra Compact in *Stainless*. No longer in production, a great shooter, fully ambidextrous as the controls can easily be swapped around. Accurate, reliable, rustproof...and I used to be a diehard 1911 guy.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I use the ultra-small Senco.

Reactions: Cheeks1989
1 - 17 of 17 Posts