Concealable 9mm: Talk Me Out of an EMP

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Dave_I, Mar 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dave_I

Dave_I New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    My dad and I have a .44 Magnum with a 9.5" barrel. It shoots pretty nice but conceals for crap. :tongue: Anyway, we were considering trading it in toward something fun & useful. His preference is 9mm (although we shoot .40, .45, 38's, .357's, 380's, 9mm's, etc.). My preference is a 1911 or derivative, although I just got a Walther PPQ that I like a lot (a planned carry gun) and I have a full-size 1911 so I guess I am open. Still, I'm primarily a 1911 guy and that sort of weighs on the scale. I would also like a slender CCW-capable gun that we could still both have fun at doing the father/son time at the range.

Anyway, the Springfield EMP seems to be a pretty perfect fit for this. I've read reviews and it was pretty much designed for what I have in mind. It is a bit more than I was hoping to pay, however I can save up for it (I have other things to occupy my time as well at the moment).

Essentially, I would love opinions as to whether this is the route I should go, or if there are any reasons you would talk me out of it into something else.

-Cheers

2. 2001SportTJ

2001SportTJ 1911 Totin' Redneck!

Sep 17, 2011
    9mm EMP is my next gun purchase.

3. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I haven't shot a 9mm but I have a .40 EMP and it isn't particularly fun to shoot, but it is great to carry.

4. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I loved the 9mm EMP that Don had.

Certainly, the EMP would give you consistency, in terms of the gun/platform. That goes far, in terms of concealed-carry. In a time of need, it's just one less thing you have to actively think about.

Others?

The S&W M&P autoloaders can come with a 1911-style thumb-safety. While they're not the blockiest-feeling striker-fired wonder-plastic pistols around, they're still not as slim as the 1911...at least not subjectively. To most people's hands, though, they are highly ergonomic, and their ambidextrous control surfaces can certainly be an asset, particularly for non-dominant-hand single-handed manipulations.

5. CuriosityKilledtheCATM

CuriosityKilledtheCATM IA to TX via the world

Nov 22, 2011
    Yeah. I hate mine. You shouldn't get one.

EMP-1.jpg

6. Dave_I

Dave_I New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    If only I were smart enough to get sarcasm. :tongue:

Nice looking gun by the way. What kind of finish is that?

-Cheers

7. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    I guess me owning two of them and loving them isn't going to go very far in talking you out of one :lol:

You need one, there is nothing else on the market like it, they are great.

James

8. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    What's that front grip? I need one of those for mine.

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
  10. CuriosityKilledtheCATM

Nov 22, 2011
    IonBond over the whole darned thing. I figure a carry pistol should be black. :)

11. CuriosityKilledtheCATM

Nov 22, 2011
  12. Dave_I

Dave_I New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Yeah, I like a black or not-super-shiny-obvious gun for a carry/duty pistol. I think it looks pretty nice!

-Cheers

13. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Have you seen Harrison's daughter's EMP? By far the nicest I've ever seen, though I would have to vote that mine runs a close second. :tongueout:

14. Dave_I

Dave_I New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    You're right. NOT HELPING! :tongue:

Funny aside . . . Now that I'm pretty much totally set on the EMP, my dad wants to trade our .44 in for some variant of a CZ 75. This is how I end up with a safe full of guns. :rolleyes2: If I can't talk him into the EMP (hopefully he handles one and falls in love with it), I'll probably end up with a CZ (which I am interested in anyway, just not quite as much as the EMP or 1911's in general) and still just save up for an EMP and get one later on this year. With my luck I will also get it IonBonded or similarly coated, some nice grips, and consider customizing it because I'm stupid that way (I would love to have a matt gray/black finish and the butt rounded, maybe not much else if anything).

Anyway, you all have me pretty much convinced to get one now. Thanks!

-Cheers

15. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Honestly, I think you need to look into the DW ECO. If that was available when I bought my EMP, I probably would have bought that, and it would have saved me a bunch of money.

16. CuriosityKilledtheCATM

Nov 22, 2011
    +1

It is already black, rounded butt. I probably would have gone the ECO route instead of the EMP.

17. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    For a little more money, the ECO would be my pick as well. Another plus on the ECO is that it doesn't have proprietary parts.
    I liked my DaWG more than my EMP

18. Dave_I

Dave_I New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    I guess I never did the math on that, however that does make sense. Especially with the cost of what an IonBond & bobtail/rounding would cost.

-Cheers

19. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Don't forget the checkering as well, and it's available in .45.

Kind of funny how your "views" change overtime and the more I learn. I originally wanted an EB KC, ended up buying an EMP instead that I have more money in than a KC. :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  20. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Sorry Dave_I, no help from me... love my 9mm EMP!

Easy to carry and shoots like a dream.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted