Concealed Carry - Aliens or Gator Backs?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by E39, Nov 12, 2011.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I have Pearce rubber grips (stock on SA Loaded). Been looking at the VZ Aliens and Gator Backs. Aliens look more aggressive. Only other grip (than on my SA) I handled was a WC with their diagonals. Any suggestions? Want a better grip. Intended use is concealed carry and home defense.

Thanks!

2. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    I've not handled Aliens, but I really like my Gatorbacks .

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    How do you carry?

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I prefer smooth wood for carry, but without front strap checkering on the loaded you might need more bite. I like diamondbacks for bite on a range or HD pistol, but their too scratchy for carry (JMO). I'm about to try frags on my house pistol so we'll see. Cheers.. Ron

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I prefer VZ double diamonds.as on my Commander below.
    You can not go wrong with any set of VZ grips, you can,
    select a set that is overly abrasive to bare skin if carried IWB.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    No CC permit yet Did buy a front belly pack with a rip cord. I will probably not carry in a holster for a while (I'm trying to ease into this, not rush). Might have something in the car. I know IWB holsters are popular but I feel I'm too fat to carry one comfortably. I looked at smoother grips since they're better for IWB but since I'm not there yet I'd like to try something aggressive for now and deal with CC later. Figured I'd add skaters tape to the front strap and see how that works.

7. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Then the VZ Aliens would be my suggestion,.......great grips!

8. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Yup, pretty much my first choice. When I said I was "easing into this" I really mean the mental part. I am comfortable with the mechanics and physical aspects of the 1911. However the whole carrying a loaded weapon thing might take a while for me since it's new. I plan to take a lot of defensive handgun training courses at my local range.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Update: 11/17/2011
    Received my Aliens today. I'll spend some time this weekend relieving the backs for my WC magwell for a flush fit. Pics to come later. Thanks VZ!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. eng208

eng208 New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I see you have the Aliens in hand. I have gone to the VZ Operator IIs for carry on my 1911s. I still have my Champion with Gatorbacks, but found that with a little sweat and wear they really lose what little bite they had. The OP IIs I love. I hit them with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and after about 3 swipes to knock off the high spots, they are perfect for me. I do carry against bare skin with them a lot and have no problems, but some guys I have worked with in the past say something is wrong with me when it comes to pain management. So if any of you are sensitive skin individuals, it may be a little rough.LOL:tongueout:

10. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Even if you are sensitive, Operator II's can be made fine by just a few more swipes of the sandpaper.

11. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Very much so,........

12. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Update: Changed out the Gators for Operators II. Added tape to front strap. Installed new MSH with checkering. It's now perfect. Really like the friction tape up front and the Operators. Have an OWB holster so aggressiveness of the grip no longer an issue.

13. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yeah I have a set of Operator II's and I touched them up with like 3 or 4 quick, light swipes with fine sandpaper, and they feel great to me now. They just needed that rough edge removed to meet my taste. I am sure you can do that with any of the VZ grips if they are too aggressive.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted