Concealed carry in banks?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by BamaBulldawg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I recently discovered its not illegal in some states and scoured the Alabama regulations. From what I can tell it is legal to carry concealed in banks in Alabama, anyone know for sure?

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011

3. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Yeah that's the site I found as well, it doesn't mention banks so can we assume it is legal then? I know this is probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure since I went years unholstering before entering a bank.

4. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    In Oklahoma it is legal to carry in banks. Just have to follow the same guidelines with the no conceal weapons signs as any other places. My Bank of America branch Manager told me he likes lawful people carrying in there. Just don't get caught in a Federal Credit Union. That's a big no no.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    salelcid likes this.
  5. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    There''s a great app for you iphone users. It's called legal heat. You can reference purchase, open carry, concealed carry, and transport laws for each state.

6. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    They call it concealed carry for a reason. I would not be stupid enough to carry in a courtroom or in an airport, where I was going to be boarding a plane :police:, but other than that, sometimes I guess I fail to see the poorly posted no gun sticker. :whistling:

Trent likes this.
  7. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Yeah, and regarding the signs posted "no guns" in Alabama from what I've read don't mean you cannot go in, just means you may be asked to leave and charged with trespassing if you fail to do so. Georgia has a stricter policy from my understanding. Thanks for everyone's help. It felt very strange carrying in a bank this morning.

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I turned it into a hobby, convincing store owners and franchise managers, why they should get rid of they no gun zone signs. usually just asked them " Do you actually really believe criminals will honore your no guns policy sign"...."they're criminals for a reason right!"

Some get it, and others don't, they're simply living in this utopia world and state og mind.

9. Tape

Tape Banned

Dec 6, 2011
    I carry in banks, Bama I know you know Compass, that is my bank and I don't see any "no firearm" signs. I feel it is ok for me to carry in banks because I have no desire to rob one.

10. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I lived in several states over the years, and it always seems like the banned places are all government buildings, so this includes schools, post offices, court houses, police stations, and such, and bars, but liquor selling restaurants are ok, they distinguish between them by how much % of their profit is made from food. Banks are privately owned businesses and fall into that category, meaning they can put up no gun signs, and it is not against the law to carry there still, but they can ask you to leave as it is their place of business.

11. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    I always carry in banks. Commonly, the banks where people do their banking are FDIC-insured, they are not federal institutions (not yet). What sometimes makes it illegal to carry in banks is the state law, if the bank is located in a federal building, or if the bank is posted and the state law says that you must obey the signs. Please, tell me if I forgot something.

12. pdogkilr

pdogkilr Can't afford Therapy

Jan 7, 2012
    I have an iPad2 and did a search on the iStore. Could not find "legal heat" but found "Gun Conceal" - two versions. Older version (free) November 2011 updated version $2.99.

I bought the newer version.

As with anything someone else does --------- Double check for accuracy.

I looked at Georgia reciprocity and found an error. They list South Dakota as legal and as illegal - same link to SD on both entries. The illegal should have been South Carolina. And that was with just a quickie peek into the info.

I still think it is a great app - thanks for sharing.

13. SatCong

SatCong Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I carry in banks, unless there is a no gun sign.

14. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    I always carry in banks unless there is a "no gun" sign plus a metal detector :biggrin1:. But in that case I do not do my banking there.

15. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    Why is that?

16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Federal facilities are off-limits... No carry there.. No parole in the federal system.. 8) Cheers.. Ron

17. Ditto_95

Nov 5, 2011
    What makes a credit union a federal facility?

18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The KEY here is "Federal Credit Union",....due to it's FEDERAL affiliation,
    it makes it a FEDERAL facility, thus highly illegal to carry in.

19. Ditto_95

Nov 5, 2011
    I am not trying to be hard headed.:Cry:

How exactly is a federal credit union inter-related to the federal government?
    Just because of the name?

My understanding of credit unions is that they are owned by the members.
    Perhaps because of the charter.
    If so, does it automatically fall under the federal jurisdiction?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  20. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    A credit union is owned in it's entirety by the members. You vote every year on the board of directors just like owning stock in a company. The reason some are Federal Credit Unions is US banking laws require credit unions to be chartered by either the state they operate in or the Feds. Most are chartered by the Feds. This then makes them eligible for insurance to back up their deposits. The insurance fund is separate from the one that backs up bank deposits (in federally chartered banks.)

Any rules in a credit union comes from the "management" of that credit union or possibly the branch.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted